22 - Good year

Cole crashed at Anna's house on New Year's Eve. Anna had convinced Mike to bend the rules by throwing his past at him. "Dad, you stayed in Mari's room when her family visited and you were hardly dating. Cole and I are both adults."

Mari rubbed her husband's back. "They lived together."

"I know." Mike sighed. "This is a special occasion. Cole isn't moving in and no sex."

Cole wanted to sink into the floor. Of course, he wanted to, but not after the warning. He couldn't sleep without Anna. They had moved out of their off-campus apartment and were each officially back at home until they found an apartment nearby.

Cole had texted Sam after Rory ran after him. His response was simple.

🗨S: We're good.

Anna tried texting Rory, but she hadn't responded. Cole felt strange when Anna shut the door to her room.

He said, "Maybe I should walk home."

"Noooo!"

Anna had celebrated her graduation and was buzzed. As she took off her shirt, Cole groaned. They had been home for over a week. He slipped off his pants to sleep in his boxers. Anna slipped off her bra, and he bit his lip and shut his eyes. Too late.

Her phone chirped, and she dove her almost naked body across the bed and him to grab it.

Anna screeched. "She said yes! Cole, they're back together. Let me text Mari!"

"She probably heard you." She lay across him in only a thong. He ran his finger along the flimsy material. Anna looked at him, as he shrugged. "He said no sex."

Quietly, they failed in their promise and went against Mike's orders. When Anna rested in his arms, she sighed. "I missed you. How did Rory stand it?"

Cole held her tighter. "We need an apartment tomorrow."

"Tomorrow we're going to your father's for dinner."

"I'll have time to look online before we go."

Even in the old house, Cole slept soundly with Anna's breathing next to him. He woke early and slipped out. He didn't want to look Mike in the eye. Besides, Anna liked to sleep in.

Sam and Bryan were sitting in the kitchen when he entered. He held up a parka. "Yours."

"Thanks." Sam smiled at him.

Bryan looked at him. "You're home late or is it early?"

"Mike let me stay. How bad was your night?"

New Year's Eve was a dangerous night. "It was busy, but not awful. The roads were dry."

Cole looked at Sam. "So what's the deal?"

"I was just telling Dad, we talked, and she wants to be together."

Cole smiled. "Sam and Rory together again."

Bryan patted his son on the back. "I'm happy for you, son. I'm going to wish my wife happy New Year, before I crash."

Cole looked at Sam. "Mom never stays in bed."

Sam laughed. "How did you and Anna celebrate?"

Cole covered his ears. "She's my mother." Sam laughed. Cole said, "I missed your laugh. How did you and Rory celebrate?"

Sam shook his head. "We kissed at midnight and I walked her home. I'm going over for breakfast. It's goodbye for Ryan and Lana."

"So adopted again."

Sam smiled. "You slept over. We pretend we're virgins for Jack."

Cole laughed. "You do not!"

"Almost. He pretends he doesn't know. Maddie protects him."