57 - Family

The people who came to support him overwhelmed Sam. None meant as much as Rory. Jesus, what had he done? He watched her walk away, and as much as he wanted to go after her he couldn't. What could he offer? More long distance? One of Nonna's church friends stopped him to tell him how proud Nonna had been of him.

Finally, only his family remained. Tina was putting food away and talking to Mike. Anna and Cole were on the sofa reminding him of what he let walk out the door. It was more than them being together, it was Cole's glower.

Alison was making a list of next steps, as Bryan packed up paperwork for Tim. They had to leave in a few hours. Only Cole and Anna were staying, and Willow. She was always around. Sam wanted to step away, but she hugged his waist. He squeezed her hand. "I'll be right back."

She stepped back. Sam felt bad as he walked away, because no one had any interest in talking to her. They were sending their disapproval loud and clear. He felt angry. What if he loved her? His dad would accept her. Cole and Anna never would. Keira was at the kitchen table with her phone.

Sam grabbed a glass of water and sat down. "Who are you texting now? Ivy?"

Mike said, "Or Sophie?"

She laughed. "No. Ben's home."

Sam felt old. "So you and Ben talk a lot?"

Mike turned from the sink and laughed. "We can guess who she'll be in front of the dunes with this summer. I remember when it was you and... Oops."

Keira looked at him with sad eyes. "Why, Sammy?"

He looked up and both Tina and Mike were looking at him. "Everything's messed up."

"But you have to fix it." Her eyes bore into him.

"I'll be home for Memorial day."

He had learned by trial and error his first year and planned to spend less time with each player. He could be home Friday night and stay until Tuesday. When he couldn't sleep the night before, he penciled out his schedule.

Tina said, "Good you'll make things right. Free pie every visit once you do."

Sam shook his head. "I can pay for my pie."

Mike said, "He may be honing in on my spot, but he's leaving too."

"Tut. I hope so. He doesn't belong here. I'd like to serve the two of you together. When I met her, it was like I've known her forever." Tina winked.

Mike put his arm around her. "You miss me most."

"I'll kick your backside if you don't send some pictures of that sweet little boy."

Sam said, "I have a lot of Andrew." He frowned. "No, recent ones." He hadn't been home in over six months.

Mike said, "That will change."

The only pictures he had taken were Nonna. He stopped going to diners but planned to start again when he traveled.

Sam looked up as Willow entered the kitchen. "Here you are. Are you okay?"

He nodded. "Just talking to my sister and the peanut gallery."

Tina laughed. "Me and the chief are trouble."

"I'm not chief anymore. Do you want rumors getting back to my wife?"

Tina winked. "She's a saint."

Sam laughed. "Tina, you need a vacation. Mike has a room at his house. We do too with Cole gone."

Willow stood next to him and said, "This is your house now."

Sam looked around. He wanted the memories but not the foundation and walls. His family followed Willow into the kitchen. It should look wrong for Alison to be leaning against his father in Nonna's kitchen, but it didn't.