46 - Kiss

As Rory sat in the student center waiting for her friends, she stared at her phone, willing Sam to respond to her text messages. He was in Turner and had posted a piece of pie. She knew about the diner, but she frowned when he tagged Willow, his first kiss. A cup appeared in front of her. She looked up to see Dan frowning.

He sat down across from her. "You just went home so you're not homesick. You should be happy, is it Sam?"

She looked at him. And you. She pushed back her anger. "I miss him." And we broke up.

"Finn misses you."

She forced a smile. "I know. I'm sorry. How's school for him?"

He started a new school because Dan lived in a different district than Finn's mother. Dan shook his head. "He hasn't adjusted."

"I'm sorry. Can I help?" Sam was right she could never stay away.

"Can you come visit? He cries at bedtime."

"I work late at the center on Tuesday and Thursdays."

He nodded. "Tomorrow?"

She sighed. On Wednesdays she had groups until five. "After five."

"Thanks, Rory. I got to go."

He walked away, and her friends immediately appeared. Chantal sat. "How did professor dad take the news you're single?"

Rory shook her head. "I didn't tell him. He's worried. Finn's struggling."

Grace patted her arm. "Is he going to the center?"

Rory shrugged. "I think so, but my groups are for older kids."

Rory was thankful when Grace changed the subject. "How was your trip home?"

"Okay. Good. Hard without Sam."

Grace put her arm around her. "I'm sorry, sweetie."

Rory shook her head afraid she'd cry. Chantal sighed loudly. "Grace, stop! What Rory needs is to get her mind off her problems. Maybe the professor will help."

Rory stood. "No, Rory needs to go take notes in class. Are you two coming?"

She stormed off without looking back. They returned to a sticky table to review class, and Rory noticed Dan sitting at a table with a colleague. Her eye kept wandering. His hair was blonder and his skin darker from the sun, but not like Sam's olive skin. He was taller and why was she comparing? No man compared to Sam, but Dan was good looking. Damn Sam, he gave her permission to look.

She felt jittery when she arrived at Dan's condo. Before she reached the door, Finn came running out.

"Rory! I missed you." His little arms hugged her around the middle. She walked with the boy still attached.

Dan laughed. "Let her breathe."

She felt overdressed in long pants and a dressier shirt. Dan wore shorts. On campus it was the opposite, she was the one in shorts.

She smiled at him. "Finn, tell me about school."

The boy dragged her to the table and showed her his worksheets. These are too easy."

It looked like review work. "Do you like your teacher?" He shrugged. "I think you're just getting to know each other."

He shrugged. "Can we play?"

They played in his room with his action figures. Dan appeared right when Rory needed saving.

"Hey Finny, can Rory come downstairs a minute?"