9 - Player

Rory looked around the bar and let out a long breath. She had been nursing an appletini while Grace had three drinks bought for her and Chantal got one from a slightly older guy in a suit. She had never been single at a bar and found it wasn't all she thought it would be. When their drinks were served she had been excited and posed with her friends for a group selfie.

Her new friends were an interesting pair. Chantal attracted attention with her beauty and humor. Grace was delicately beautiful and meek. Rory felt like a wallflower. The two knew each other's secrets but weren't sharing. Rory couldn't point fingers because she kept her past locked inside too.

Feeling restless, she drained her glass and thought of an excuse to leave. Another appletini appeared in front of her. She looked up at the server, who was about Rory's age wearing a short black skirt Rory could never pull off.

She smiled. "The cute guy at the bar."

Rory looked and chuckled as she waved. Her friends leaned in.

Grace said, "Expensive suit, but he looks married."

Chantal purred. "He's kinda hot. Older guys are more experienced."

Rory cringed, before she started laughing uncontrollably. He stood and walked toward their table with a glass in his hand.

Rory gestured to the empty fourth chair. As he sat, he said, "I finished meeting with my client and saw you. How about a dinner date?"

Chantal cut in. "Where's your wife?"

Rory covered her mouth.

Grace added. "Does your wife know you're hitting on girls half your age?"

Amused, he looked at Rory. "I'm not forty-four! Yet."

She shook her head and leaned over and kissed his cheek while her friends looked at her shocked. "Don't worry girls. I know his wife. Are you buying dinner for the three of us?"

Ryan smiled. "I can treat your friends, kid."

"This is Chantal and Grace."

"Ladies, I'll be honest my player days ended six years ago, but my brother would castrate me if I picked up his daughter."

"Brother? Rory, you didn't say your uncle was hot."

Rory covered her ears. "Stop! He looks too much like my father."

Ryan chuckled. "Rore, I didn't expect your friends to think you're rr..." Rory shook her head. "Forgot what I was saying."

Rory wasn't ready and doubted she would ever be. A few weeks before she wasn't single and didn't feel single where it mattered most. Thankfully, her friends were too distracted by Chantal humming about some hot guys to notice Ryan's gaffe. She wasn't ready to tell them about Sam. She wanted to be just Rory.

"Ladies, would you like to join me for dinner? I can put my name in for a table."

A pink hue covered Grace's face. "I'm going home for the weekend." She looked at her phone. "I actually have to go."

Chantal frowned. Rory knew very little about her friends. Chantal recovered with a smile. "I'm meeting my sisters. Thanks, but no thanks for the offer."

Ryan said, "Rory, you can invite your friends over to the house. They might want to wait until Lana and the kids come home unless they want burgers."

Chantal eyes probed him. "Where is your wife and kids?"

Ryan smiled. "In Maine, enjoying the last of the summer weather at the beach."

Chantal looked at Rory. "Near where you live?"