12 - Drinks

Rory walked across the quad towards class. The sun was warm for the first of October. In Maine, the kids were wearing fleece to school. Rory was comfortable in just a light sweater.

She smiled thinking about her morning. Charlotte was a little like Emma had been when Maddie became her mother. Everything she did was adorable and for attention. Ryan fell for her charms, but Lana almost exploded, if Rory hadn't stepped in.

Charlotte said, "Or-ee, hat." Then she put her bowl of cereal on her head. Milk dripped down her face as she sat proud with a grin.

Rory saw Lana's face and quickly said, "I have time to give her a bath."

Lana sighed. "My mother's wrong. She takes after Ryan, not me."

Rory laughed. "She's a performer. She sings better than Ryan."

Lana sang to her children all day long. Rory lifted her light body out of the high chair while the dog was busy cleaning up the floor. The mini labradoodle sat during mealtime waiting for dropped food.

As the naked toddler sang 'Baby Shark', Rory's future was blurred. Her vision of brown-eyed babies no longer seemed a sure thing. Sam was all over the nurse's social media. Rory focused on the cuteness splashing in the tub or she'd drop salt water in the tub.

"Come on, baby shark, time to get out."

"Doo doo doo."

She wrapped the little body in the towel and hugged her close. Walking down the hall she passed framed photographs which made her heart lurch.

"Hey baby girl." She looked at her with enormous hazel eyes. "Bowls are not hats, okay?"

"Kay."

"Give mommy a kiss and say sorry."

She looked around as Rory put on a clean shirt. "Mama."

"She's cleaning up."

Lana was a pro at cleaning. Pulling up her pants, Rory reminded her. "Kiss and sorry."

At the bottom of the stairs, she put her down, and she ran off on her chubby legs.

"Kiss mama."

Rory followed her as she ran to Lana. "Ar-ee. Kiss."

Lana hugged her daughter and smiled at Rory.

"We talked about bowls and how they aren't hats."

As Rory entered the classroom building, she thought about Charlotte with the bowl on her head. It would have been an amazing photograph. All thoughts led back to Sam. Pasting on a smile, she slipped into a seat next to Chantal.

Her friend whispered. "Glad you made it. Your turn to write."

Rory took out her notebook. She didn't mind; it kept her mind from wandering. Class flew by and Rory sat with hot chocolate in front of her, because the coffee on campus was awful. The kind she made with Ryan's fancy machine was better. Lana complained and when Ryan annoyed her, she would remind him what she gave up to marry him. Seeing them in love hurt Rory's heart.

"Earth to Rory."

Rory looked up. Her friends were looking at her. She smiled. "Sorry. Just thinking of something." Someone.

"We need to go out. Rory needs a social life."

Chantal snickered. "She smells like baby shampoo."

Rory's eyes popped open. "I do? I gave Charlotte a bath after she put her cereal bowl on her head."

Grace giggled. "She needs to spend more time with adults."

Rory winked. "Do you know any?"

Grace laughed. "She's funny. I meant us."