24 - Leaving

By the time Rory's plane landed, her tears had dried up. Leaving Sam this time should have been easier, except she was afraid. Would talking to him make it harder to be apart? She already wanted to hear his voice but texted him instead.

🗨R: Landed. Call when settled.

Her second text was to Ryan when she reached baggage claim. He was waiting and told her to hurry. Her bag appeared in the first batch, and she stepped out on the sidewalk to scan for Ryan's car. She spied Lana's SUV and pulled her suitcase towards it. Ryan jumped out and loaded it in the back. When she climbed in the passenger seat, she saw the kids in the backseat.

"Rory!" Liam said.

"Or-ee!" Charlotte copied and reminded her of Emma in a bittersweet way.

Ryan climbed in. "Okay. The gang's all here." He turned to Rory. "I hope you don't mind, but I have to make a stop at Lowes for a few things."

"It's fine. Where's Lana?"

Ryan smiled. "She kicked us out. It rained all day yesterday."

Rory laughed. She had seen Lana send Ryan on errands before. For a grown man, he wound the kids up. "What did you do?"

He pouted. "Nothing."

Lana also liked a break on the weekends. Rory took the kids to the park on Sunday mornings, but she suspected Ryan didn't give Lana any space at all. Rory always texted when she was on her way home.

When they arrived at the store, Rory took Charlotte out of her car seat, while Ryan helped Liam out on his side. As they walked into the store, she carried Charlotte. Ryan walked beside her holding Liam's hand. He put his arm around her.

"You okay, kid?"

She nodded. "Tired." Tired from crying most likely. Ryan pulled her closer. She already missed Sam, but reminded herself she could call him anytime.

A small excited voice caused her to turn. "Rory!"

Finn, her friend from her flight to Portland waved at her. She smiled at him. "Did you have a nice Christmas?"

He nodded but didn't elaborate. He and his father were walking into the store too and walked past as Rory stopped to buckle Charlotte into a shopping cart.

Ryan tilted his head. "A friend of yours?"

"For about two hours. He sat next to me on my flight before Christmas."

Ryan laughed. "And he thinks you're his best friend now?"

"Maybe not best." She laughed.

She followed Ryan around the store, but didn't see Finn again. When they arrived home, Charlotte was asleep in the car seat. Ryan carried her in, and Lana frowned. She often woke up when placed in her crib.

Ryan returned with his fingers crossed. "Our babysitter is back. We can take a nap together."

Lana wagged her finger. "I need a break from you. After a rainy weekend, I'm ready for you to go to work and drive Allie crazy."

He pouted. "I just left you for almost two hours. Plus Allie loves me."

His assistant, Allie had recently returned to work after her son was born. Ryan complained the whole time she was on leave.

Rory said, "I'll babysit anytime I'm free. I owe you guys."

Lana said, "But you cleaned our cottage." Rory blushed, almost every day.

Lana's comment went over Ryan's head. "Maybe my wife will want a date with me, if she's not too sick of me."

Lana laughed. "I'll miss you before you're home from work tomorrow."