17 - Team Sam and Rory

The flurries had turned to flakes when Sam exited the turnpike and drove up Route One towards the turn off for The Point. He was home for Thanksgiving.

When he had FaceTimed with Emma the week before, he felt like he was punched in the gut.

"I won't see you. We're going to see Rory for Thanksgiving."

Maddie confirmed it. The Harris family was celebrating in Virginia. Rory wouldn't be home. Sam had hoped they could talk. She couldn't avoid him in person. He could have stalked her, like Hailey stalked him.

Sam smiled as he remembered when Cole called him. "You should know Will is up to his old tricks. I hope you meant it when you said you weren't into the girl you brought home."

"I never went out with her. She turned crazy and so Will's distracting her. He's turned into a prince."

Cole laughed. "Seriously."

Irritated, Sam complained. "I told Anna. Why does no one believe me? I hate social media."

He had a long weekend off and wanted to chill and edit. Will was playing an away game on Saturday, the last regular season game. He had been to six home games and countless practices and training sessions. As a result, Sam had hours of footage to edit.

It felt good to be home. When he walked in the kitchen, it was empty. The house was quiet. So much for a welcoming party. He took his stuff to his room. At the bottom of Keira's door, he saw her light on and knocked.

She opened her door and threw her arms around him. "Sammy!"

"Hey." She clung to him, and he asked, "Are you okay?"

"I missed you."

He smiled. "I missed you too. Where is everyone?"

"Mom's in the studio. B's working until morning. Cole is at Anna's."

Everyone was busy. It was too dark and cold to go to the beach.

His stomach grumbled. "Did you eat?"

Keira shook her head. "Not yet. She has a big order."

Sam frowned. "Maybe I can help her."

Keira gave him another squeeze, before he went to the studio over the garage.

It always surprised him how much he missed Alison. He had Rory to thank for teaching him how to love her, but not as a mother. "Do you need help?"

"Sam! Yes, but only if you want." She stood and hugged him. "You look good. Better."

He shrugged. "It still sucks. You probably know they're not here."

She nodded. "I heard. Maybe it's just as well."

"I know. Maybe. If Emma tells me she met her boyfriend, I might lose it."

Alison frowned. "Do you think she's seeing someone?"

"She's met guys. How would I know she will only reply to my texts?"

"Sweetheart, I'm sorry you're hurting. I wish I could take your pain."

He would always call her Alison, but she loved him like he was her child.

"Only Rory can do that."

"Is there anything she could do you wouldn't forgive?"

He felt the vise again. "Get married. Stop loving me."

Alison frowned. "I doubt either of those will happen. Remember to follow your heart. If it turns out it's not Rory..."