3 - Just Rory

Nothing felt the same as Rory and Sam left the beach. Breaking up with Sam wasn't on Rory's radar when she made plans to go to Virginia. She had been ready to do the whole long distance thing until the night before when she tossed around Megan's words and wondered who Rory was, just Rory. She must have been an imposter when she said the words, we should take a break. As awful as the words sounded, she couldn't take them back, not until she found just Rory.

She made the decision she never dreamed she'd make. Although it was necessary, she underestimated the pain. Rory felt it in her heart, but it was etched across Sam's face. His twinkle had vanished. When he didn't join them after helping Maddie clean up, she went to find him. Before she made it through the kitchen, Maddie stopped her.

"Rore, are you okay? Sam looks like he might cry."

Rory shook her head. "I changed my mind."

"About Virginia?"

"No, about the long distance. I told him I wanted a break."

Maddie gasped. "You did?" Rory nodded, feeling the sting of tears pushing through. "If we're meant to be, it'll work out."

"But you're inviting variables."

"I thought you'd be happy."

Maddie forced a thin smile. "I never." She shook her head. "Only if you are. Go spend time with the poor boy. His heart is breaking."

Sam sat alone in the yard with his head in his hands. They shared so much history. He helped her move through her grief after losing her mother. Maybe they needed to find out if there was more to love than shared sorrow.

Sam looked up as she stepped closer. His eyes were rimmed with red. Her voice was soft in the night air. "Hey."

He stared at her before reaching out his hand and pulling her onto his lap. Burying his face in her neck, he breathed in and sobbed. "What can I say to change your mind?"

Rory thought almost anything, but she had to be strong. The thought of one of her favorite couples divorced kept her awake most of the night. She met Megan on her first day of school and she looked up to her immediately. When she had babysat for her and saw her with Peter, they reminded her of her mother and Jack. Rory could feel the love between them, just like with Jack and Maddie, but back then they were just friends. Rory wanted forever and high school romances weren't forever. She could add Sasha to the growing list.

"Nothing."

"What am I supposed to do?"

Their plans hadn't changed. "Go to school. Finish your degree."

"But can we talk?"

"It's not a break if we FaceTime every minute."

"Rore, you are my best friend."

"You have lots of friends."

He did, but she didn't have any friends who weren't also his friends. Anna was dating Sam's step brother. In Boston for four years, she had acquaintances in her classes, but she spent all her time with Sam. Most nights and every weekend they hung out at his apartment with his roommates. At graduation, she didn't have a good friend to stand with for a photo. She knew it was her own fault, but she worried about regret when she looked back at her college years. Grad school was her do over. If she went back to Boston, it would have been a repeat of the past.

Rory shook her head sadly. "I don't have the rules. I'll want to hear from you, but I want to focus on school and hopefully make some friends."

"You'll make lots of friends. Everyone loves you."