Chapter 58

There is an incredible power in words, both to inspire and to destroy. Right words always soothe pain, but destructive words that are borne from anger and hatred completely destroy the individual. You cannot retract your words once you have said them. Karishma was consumed with guilt and that guilt of her words burned through her veins. It was clear that she was feeling all the pain her words had caused Haseena. She finally stopped her bike on a deserted road, removed her helmet, and felt on her knees, like all her energy had been drained.

"Ahhhhhhhh!" screamed Karishma and she started crying profusely as, in the heat of the moment, she banged her hand on the ground, which injured her knuckles.

Suddenly, the sky darkened and rain began pouring heavily. It was as if nature was trying to calm Karishma's inner turmoil that was causing her so much pain. However, that was nothing compared to what she had done to Haseena.

The rain completely soaked her body, but the cold water had no effect on her internal rage. She was crying and cried till her eyes were stinging and her head started aching because of all the distress she was experiencing.

Early in the morning, Haseena got ready for her office and waited for Pushpaji to call, as it has been routine since last 1 week. She calls her to check on Haseena, and, as usual, she lies to her about having her breakfast and well being. Being a mother, Pushpaji can figure out her lie, but she never forces her since she is well aware of her vulnerability. Though she had been restless since morning for some unknown reason, she brushed it aside. When she didn't receive a call from Pushpaji after a while, she assumed she must be busy with something and would call later, and headed for work.

It was late afternoon, and Karishma was struggling to open her eyes as they felt heavy. She winced in pain as she tried to get up, as her head felt hefty.

“Krishu ruk teri madat karti hoon,” said Pushpaji as she leaned over to help her sit.

“Ahhhh Amma, my head!!” wailed Karishma in pain while holding her head.

"It's okay bachhe, it is because of the fever," replied Pushpaji, taking a relieved breath.

Finally, Karishma opened her eyes and looked around to see that her clothes had been changed.

Pushpaji passed her a glass of water and said, “Dara diya tha tune mujhe, aisa kon karta hai Krishu, ek toh bheeg k aayi upar se bina change kiye hi sofa pe so gayi. Pata hai pehle toh tere kapde change kiye, phir neighbor aunty ki madad se tujhe bed pe sulaya aur toh aur Dr. ko bhi bulaya tha.”

Karishma tried to recall last night while Pushpaji went to keep the glass aside and continued, "Waise Doctor ne injection de diya tha aur," and at the same time Karishma remembered her encounter with Umar and all the truth behind Haseena's estranged behavior and once again was filled with guilt.

“It was extremely careless of you,” said Pushpaji angrily but with concern in her voice.

“Amma!” uttered Karishma as her lips quivered.

Pushpaji glanced at her, who looked distressed and sounded distraught as she immediately came beside her and asked, "Kya hua Krishu?"

Karishma couldn't hold herself back and engulfed herself in her mother's embrace, crying profusely.

Pushpaji held her close and rubbed her back as she asked in a concerned tone, "Kya hua hai Krishu? Aur pehle shant ho ja warna aur tabiyat kharab ho jayegi.”

Karishma was still sobbing badly and with much difficulty mumbled, “Amm.....ma .....woh ......main."

Pushpaji pulled her out of her embrace and was stunned to see her in such a condition. She wiped her tears and asked, “Kya hua hai bachhe? Kyu ro rahi hai mujhe darr lag raha hai. Aapni Amma ko bata kya hua hai.”