Chapter 29: Unmask

Tears streamed down my cheeks as I cautiously entered the room, where the twins slumbered peacefully. With utmost care, I moved in silence, determined not to disrupt their rest. Gently, I pressed a tender kiss upon France's forehead and whispered softly into his ear.

"I apologize for my absence during your care for Fern. I have faith in you, and know that you will be a devoted protector. You will do whatever it takes to save her." Wiping away my tears with a trembling hand, I planted another kiss on France's cheek, this time tinged with sadness. "Please, do not resent me for this. I want you to remain strong as I gather evidence. My love for you, France, knows no bounds."

Turning my attention to Fern, peacefully nestled in slumber, I kissed her cheek and offered a sorrowful smile.

"Whatever the outcome may be, you possess the strength to overcome it, my precious baby. Wait for daddy, won't you? Once everything is resolved, I promise we will be reunited — you, France, your mother, and me." My voice quivered, but I managed to bid them both farewell.

This path we tread would never be easy, for we had already woven a tapestry of cherished memories together. If only I could turn back time, I would have rejected the offer and avoided this treacherous industry altogether. If only I had been a better person then, perhaps none of this would have come to pass.

I dialed Blew's number, and he promptly answered, his voice offering solace in my time of need. In between sobs, I requested that he meet me near Becky's house, and within a mere five minutes, he arrived.

Blew handed me a handkerchief as tears continued to flow. He enveloped me in a comforting embrace, his hand gently rubbing my back. Lost and uncertain, I felt the weight of Nat's manipulations, threatening to tear Becky and our children away. Yet, I vowed to fight relentlessly until my family was restored.

Returning to the hotel with Blew by my side, Nam awaited our arrival. She had skillfully managed matters with the agency, ensuring my absence went unnoticed in the preceding weeks. Nam, a steadfast pillar of support, had done everything in her power to prevent our separation.

"What happened?" Nam inquired, her gaze fixed upon Blew, who simply shook his head, unaware of the torment I had endured.

I chose not to divulge the details, for the darkness I had faced was too harrowing to recount. The fleeting moments of bliss shattered when Nat intruded, staining our lives with chaos.

"Assist me, Nam. Help me reclaim my family," I pleaded, sinking to my knees before her.

Nam mirrored my posture, offering solace in her embrace as tears continued to flow. The pain was unbearable, threatening to consume me entirely.

The knowledge that Becky believed him more than me cut deeper than any physical wound.

Overwhelmed, Nam wept alongside me, her almond eyes filled with concern and an insatiable desire to comprehend the depths of my anguish. Cupping my cheeks, she met my gaze, her own worry palpable.

"I tried to explain the truth to her, but Nat intervened, turning the tables. It was meant to be him..." My words caught in my throat, my grip on her arms tightening.

Tears blurred my vision, obscuring my surroundings. I longed to lose consciousness, to pretend that none of this had transpired.

"Everything will be alright, Freen. For now, I need you to gather your strength for the sake of your children. We will gather evidence and keep a low profile," Nam whispered, her voice a fragile thread of hope.

"No!" I exclaimed, my anguish reverberating through the room. "Nat will exploit this situation to console Becky and propose to her. I have no time to spare, Nam! I must return with evidence or find someone she will trust."

"Do you mean I should contact Richie?" she asked.

Richie remained my sole option. Regardless of the circumstances, Becky would unquestioningly believe him.

"Can you comprehend how difficult it is to reach him these days? He is inundated with countless commitments," Nam began, her words cut short.

"I don't care! I will seek him out, no matter where he may be! Tell me, Nam, where can I find him?" I implored, begging her to disclose his whereabouts.

Nam's gaze dropped, her voice heavy with regret. "After what you did to Becky, Richie instructed me not to involve him in matters concerning you. He refuses to lend his assistance, Freen."

"He will," I declared, my voice commanding. "Once he discovers what Nat has done to his sister, he will be compelled to help. The excessive use of benzodiazepines will have dire consequences for Becky's mental and physical well-being."

"Nat is responsible for this?" she questioned, disbelief evident in her tone.

"Yes, and therefore, summon Richie and apprise him of every detail. When this plan fails, I will personally exact vengeance upon Nat with my own hands."

I will kill him with my own hands if anything happens to Becky.