Chapter 7: Pictures

I watched Becky sipping on her milk tea while watching her favorite movie–Harry Potter. We were in the living room and she was sitting on the couch while I was in the dining area connected to it. I was sipping on my coffee while watching her intently.

Is this the "look after her" Richard was talking about? Then I can do this all day.

I wanted to ask Becky about her condition, but I must let her finish what she was watching first. I don't want to intervene or else she'll put a spell on me.

"Freen, why are you here?" Becky suddenly gazes at me with knitted brows and her lips were still pressing on the straw of her drink. "Did my brother ask you to stay with me?"

"Yes, part of my contract."

"So, you're my brother's dog now?" She lifted her eyebrows, waiting for my answer. "Since when?"

"Since today. My manager did something terrible. So I have to take care of you until then," I explained and drink my coffee.

Becky sat properly on the couch but still facing me. She looked at me and bit her lower lips as she tilted her head in thought.

"Why don't you pay him? I can lend you some money," she offered but I refused.

I shook my head. "I don't need your help."

"But that's the only way to leave me. Isn't that what you want from the beginning?" she asked in sarcasm. "When you left me during our wedding?"

I avoided her gaze and turned to my coffee. Then I felt Becky stand up and went in my direction. She sat on the chair beside me and put down her drink on the table.

"Tell me, Freen. Did I do something wrong for you to leave me like that?" she asked in a shallow voice.

I lowered my head and didn't answer.

I asked myself multiple times before and that was also my question. Becky didn't do anything, but I wanted more. I wanted a family that she couldn't give. I admit, Becky was perfect enough to be a wife, but we couldn't have a child.

"What can I do to bring you back to me?" she asked again and lifted my chin to face her. "I love you so much, Freen. Tell me, what can I do to have you back?"

Nothing. Absolutely, nothing.

I removed Becky's hand and shook my head as I heaved a deep sigh. She couldn't do anything though.

"Becky stop hurting yourself. I won't come back."

Becky's eyes started to well up, but she only nodded. She turned her back on me and stopped for a moment.

"You hurt me first, Freen." She sobbed. "But if ever you changed your mind during your journey to finding a real family, just know that I'm still here. Waiting for you. I won't look for another man or woman. I'll wait for you until I can." She walked away after she said those words.

I know how much pain she's bearing right now. That's exactly what I feel during those years she wasn't with me. Although, I knew it. I made her feel it.

I let out a harsh breath before crashing the empty coffee cup on my hand.

How can I leave you if they keep pushing me on you? How can you move on if I'm still here and you can see me? What should I do to get out of your life, Becky?

My footsteps became heavy as I journeyed to her bedroom. I knocked three times but she didn't answer, so I twisted the knob.

Becky's room was renovated. From pink to dark gray theme. She prefers dark colors now. And the only thing that hadn't changed was the pictures of me–of us glued to the ceiling.

Becky was lying on her bed with a blanket covering her whole body. I could hear her sob from where I was standing.

I walked towards her and sat on the edge of the mattress and tried to reach the blanket to see her, but I stopped.

I would only give her false hope.

"Call me if you want to eat. I'll be in the kitchen," I said and stood up again.

I looked at her one last time and was about to go out when she called my name.

"Freen!" she weeps like a baby.

I turned around to see her sitting on her bed. This girl doesn't look like a mid-20s woman.

"What?" I asked and waited for her answer but she only opened her arms, asking for a hug.

When will you grow up, Becky?

I didn't notice that I was walking in her direction and climbed on her bed as she pulled me into a hug, causing us to lie on the mattress.

I felt safer in her arms, but this would be temporary. I shouldn't let my guard down.

Becky re-positioned herself and buried her face in my chest. She rubbed my back and put her legs around my torso.

"Becky, can you still breath in this position?" I asked.

She's burying herself in me. As if she doesn't want to let go of me, when in fact I'm only going to the kitchen.

"I can breathe as long as I'm with you," she replied.

My heart warmed. I smiled a bit and kissed the top of her head. I gently caressed her hair and looked at the ceiling to see the pictures of us.

If one day, I won't be able to see those. I think I will be hurt, but that's part of loving you, Becky. Part of loving you is letting go.

"Tell me if you fell out of love, Freen. I'll make you fall for me again."

I wish I did. I wish, Becky.