Chapter 4: Cruel Industry

"I talked to the management yesterday and told me that the only way to dissolve the contract is to pay the fine. It's more than your net worth, how did this happen?" my manager asked me through the phone.

"Heng did that. I don't know how, but I want to get out of this industry as soon as possible," I answered. "Is Becky there?"

"Why?" she asked.

I furrowed my eyebrows. Why is she asking me why? Yesterday she told me that I need to talk to the CEO.

"Isn't she the CEO of the company?" I asked back.

"The CEO changed two days ago. It's Richie now. Becky's brother."

So that's the reason why the staff called the CEO mister and not miss. It's because it's no longer her. But why?

I almost jumped out of my bed when I realized the last time I found out about her.

Becky was having a hard time remembering things now and then. She didn't even remember the time she saw me. Was that the reason why she resigned? Was she okay now? What are the findings?

"Can I talk to you later?" I asked my manager and hung up on her.

I immediately slid off my bed as I called Nam's number. It took almost three rings before she finally answered.

"What are you doing right now? Where are you?" I asked as I hauled my white shirt over my head.

I grabbed my keys and entered my car as I waited for her answer but it was only a long silence.

"Hey, I'm asking you!" I yelled on the phone and finally hit the gas. "Looknam!"

"Yes, Freen?" she sounded like she was startled. "Excuse me, Becky. For a while. My mother is mad at me," she said to the person she was talking to.

My eyebrows furrowed and tilted my head in thought.

She's with Becky today, and my manager told me that Becky wasn't the CEO now. Where is she then?

"Freen. I'm in the hospital today, what do you want?" Based on her tone, I can imagine her knitted brows while her free hand was on her waist.

"What are you doing there?" I asked once again. If she wouldn't answer me properly this time I would go there right now.

"I have an appointment with your doctor, and I happen to see Becky here. She's with her boyfriend," she blurted. "Oh, I didn't mean to say it."

I rolled my eyes.

"Stop making me jealous. I know she's with Nat," I said and shook my head although she couldn't see it. "Anyway, what happened to Becky and what is she doing in the hospital?" I questioned her.

I put the address of the hospital on my GPS and drove. I didn't know why I wanted to go there and why I wanted to know about her condition.

Why do I still care? Should I look after her even though we're not together anymore? Nat is there and he can take care of her, right?

"There's something wrong with Becky these past few days." Nam heaved a sigh. "Don't you think you should get back together and take care of her instead? You know that you're the reason why she's stressed lately."

"Stop guilt-tripping me. I don't have a conscience." I huffed and stopped at the parking lot of the hospital.

I turned off the engine and went out of the car. I looked around and there were so many people looking at me giving me the awkward atmosphere.

I've been living a peaceful life for the past few years. Why do people still remember me? Are they my fans?

"Freen, listen to me. It's not that I want you to get back together–" I cut Nam's words by turning off the phone.

I could see her from here and the way she stomped her feet like a child just because I ended the call harshly.

"Oh, you're here." Nam smiled awkwardly and held on my arms but I only squinted at her.

"Where's Becky?" I asked.

Her face brightened up at my question. She immediately pulled my arms to the nearest hospital ward. She knocked three times before someone opened the door. It was Nat.

"Freen, come in."

Nam and I headed inside and saw Becky lying on the bed while sleeping. She looked exhausted with her pale face and thin lips. It looked like she ran out of blood.

"What's happening with her?" I asked as I looked at her from head to toe. I reached for her hand and gently squeezed it. I don't care if she wakes up or not. I want to know if she's still alive.

"Let's talk somewhere," he said. "Can you look after her for a while? We'll just talk," Nat said to Nam and she quickly nodded.

Nat motioned me to follow him and we went to the hospital rooftop. It's refreshing here and it is my favorite spot every time I am hospitalized before.

"What happened to her?" I asked and looked above to avoid his gaze.

I know he's looking at me with worried eyes, but I don't want to pity him. I shouldn't pity him. I know deep inside he's thankful because I let Becky go. I'm not stupid. He's looking at her, the way I also look at her.

"I have a favor," Nat said and heaved a sigh. "She's not well, you know? She's looking for you every morning."

"What do you want me to do then?" I asked again and looked at her with boring passionate eyes.

"Can you stay with her until she finally forgets you?"

The lump formed in my throat, but I ignored it. I should act as if it didn't bother me.

"I can't. You can ask some specialist to look after her," I mentioned. "I'm no doctor."

I was about to turn my back when Nat grabbed my arms and slowly knelt before me. He started to sob like a child.

"Please, Freen. I want Becky to be happy," he said. "I love her, but I'm not the one she's looking for."

That's not my fault, and won't ever be.