Chapter 9: Baby's Mother

After hearing what Richard said, I went to Becky's chamber to ask her how all of this happen. I never told anyone about gestational surrogacy so how come they find out?

"Becky," I called her name while she was lying on the bed.

Richard barged into the room and grabbed my hand to stop me from saying something to her. He shook his head and I grimaced at him.

So he wanted to keep it a secret? Becky would notice it sooner because it was her body. She was the one who would feel the mood swings and not us, so we couldn't hide it from her.

"What is it, Richie? Why are you holding Freen's arms?" she asked innocently and in a shallow voice. I could hear in her voice that she was so exhausted from all the things that happened to her. She was so tired.

"Can we all calm down for a moment?" Richie asked and let go of me.

I rolled my eyes and walked to the edge of the bed to sit down. Becky looked at me in confusion then turned to Richie again.

Richie heaved a sigh as he massaged his temple.

"Tell her," I prompted.

"You're pregnant, Becky."

Becky's eyes widened and furrowed her eyebrows immediately. She shook her head and looked at me as if she was telling me that she wasn't pregnant.

Is she afraid that I am mad right now because I found out that she's pregnant?

"That's not true, Richie. I haven't met any guy or done a one-night stand." She scolded her brother before turning. to me. "Believe me, Freen. Even though I forget some things, I won't do such a sin."

I turned to Richie when I couldn't understand what Becky was trying to say.

"No, it's not that Becky. You're pregnant with Freen's child," Richie explained. He went in Becky's direction and held her both hands.

Becky looked at us confused at what was happening. She couldn't believe all of this and how did this happen.

"It was gestational surrogacy. The doctor gave you the fertilized cells, so you're conceived with my baby." I lowered my head in shame.

I broke up with her for the reason I wanted to have a child, and now she was carrying it. She made one of my dreams come true again. How could I repay you now? You're the only one who was putting effort into this broken relationship.

"So, it would be Freen and mine's baby?" she asked then looked at us.

Richie nodded and smiled at her. Becky wasn't happy at all. She turned to me and heaved a sigh before reaching my hand.

"I guess you're stuck with me," Becky whispered. "Who's the owner of the sperm?"

"I don't know." I shook my head. "I didn't ask Nam. She only told me that it was an unknown personality. A rising star, I guess."

"An actor?" Becky asked in disbelief and huffed. "What if I give birth and it looks like him?" she yelled at me.

Richie tried to calm her down and told me that I shouldn't stress out the pregnant.

What does he want me to do? I don't even know how to be a baby's mother. This is the reason why I don't want to bear one.

"Take a rest, Becky. And Freen, let's go outside." Richie motioned me to follow him.

I waited for Becky to lie down again and nodded at him.

We went to the living room and there was a sinister silence. I couldn't utter a word about what was happening. It all happened too fast. I wasn't expecting that she was the mother my doctor was talking about. If I only knew that it would be her, I would cancel it.

I couldn't bare seeing her enduring the pain. How could they do this to her?

"I know you want an explanation," Richie finally spoke after a moment of silence. "I'm sorry."

"How can you do this to your sister, Richie? Do you know how hard it is to bare a child?" I yelled at him. "If I wanted her to have my child, I would ask her and wouldn't abandon her during the wedding."

"Nam mentioned that no one wanted to carry your child because of unknown reasons." Richie heaved a sigh and messed his hair in frustration. "I thought it would be best if Becky did it. So you wouldn't leave the company and her."

I scoffed in disbelief. What the hell is he thinking? Sacrificing her sister for the company? Is he mad?

"You're crazy," I said in disappointment.

I went back to Becky's room and saw her sleeping peacefully on the bed. Her face brightened when she saw me lie down beside her and wrapped her hands around my waist.

I caressed her hair and hummed a lullaby.

I'm deeply sorry, Becky. I don't know what you're feeling right now, but I'll promise to take care of you.

"Can you sing a song, Freen?" she asked without opening her eyes.

I nodded and smiled.

"And when I hold you in my arms, I promise you." I sang as I gently caressed her face. Becky smiled and hugged me tightly. "You're gonna feel a love that's beautiful and new."

"This time I'll love you even better than I ever did before," I leaned in to kiss her forehead. "And you'll be in my heart forevermore."

"This would be the last time I will ask you to stay, Freen." Becky looked at me. "If you want to leave on my grasp I won't stop you now," she said.

"Is that a threat?" I asked and chuckled.

"That's blackmail. If you leave, you won't see our child." Becky pulled the back of my neck and pressed her lips to mine. "I know you love me still, don't you?"

I nodded my head.

I never stop, Becky. I never stop loving you.

"Good. Goodnight," she said and rolled away from me.

I wrapped my arms around her from behind and buried my face on her neck.

"I'm sorry. I'll be a good partner, from now on." I whispered.