Chapter 5: Issue

"Eat up." I motioned for Becky to eat, but she only looked at me. "You've been asleep for three hours. You need energy so eat up."

"Why? I thought you were leaving me so why were you still here?" she asked. "Go."

"Do you know that someone kneels for me to take care of you?" I asked back as I walked in her direction while my face remained in its expressionless form. I crossed my arms and leaned in a little to face her since she was lying on the bed.

I admit that Becky has this effect on me. I can't stand her stares right now, but I need to act as if I don't care about her anymore.

Her eyes were dead and were telling me something I couldn't fathom. It's a mixture of hurt, sadness, and delight. It's unexplainable.

"Then go take care of that person. I don't need you here. I can handle myself," she said and turned to the other side of her bed.

I can't force her. However, she must be sulking that's why she doesn't want me to be here. I know her, she's doing this–chasing me away every time she's mad at me, but the only way I can make up to her is to get back with her and that's what I can't do right now.

I'm choosing myself.

"Goodbye then," I said and walked out the door.

I stayed at the gang chair outside her ward and waited for an hour for Nat to come back. I pressed the buttons on my phone to dial his number, but I heard a loud noise coming from Becky's room.

I rushed into her bedroom only to see that she was watching an action movie.

Damn it.

I rolled my eyes and twisted the knob again, but before I could go out she called my name in the sweetest voice I missed.

"Freenky, can you watch with me?"

The atmosphere became subtle and so as my mind. I knew that she already forgot that she was mad at me.

I wish I can help her to remember everything, but I am no god. I am a mere human being who only knows how to hurt her feelings. I can't help her, and I bet this is her destiny–to forget me.

Is God helping me for giving her this kind of disease? So she could move on easily because of my cruel decisions. Or this is my punishment? For giving up on someone who cherishes me most.

"Sure," I said and smiled at her.

I tried to hide my tears and cheerfully climbed onto her bed. She moved a little and handed me the phone so we could watch it better.

Becky leaned her head on my shoulder and I could smell her sweet scent. God knows how much I miss this. Her alluring presence, vibrance, and scent.

"I dreamt last night that you left me during our wedding. So, I went to the bathroom and found my ring there." She smiled as she mentioned. She also raised her hand and showed me the ring on her finger. "I found it. Are you still mad?"

What is this? What kind of memory disease? Why is her mind flashing back?

I smiled bitterly at her and motioned her to focus on the movie. It's called Ghajini where the MC has anterograde amnesia. It refers to an impaired capacity for new learning.

I turned to Becky and she was looking at the phone carefully as if she wanted to memorize the whole thing.

The movie went on and I could hear Becky sobbing but she didn't want to wipe her tears. She grabbed the phone from me and watched it intently. She was so into the movie that she ignored me as I stood up and got a tissue for her. She also didn't accept the tissue, instead, she turned around from me.

"Hey, I want to watch too." I poked her many times but she didn't flinch. She kept sobbing on the scene where the partner of the MC died.

I'm so thankful that she didn't watch this at the cinema or else she would cause a big mess.

My phone vibrated, so I looked at who it was. The caller ID flashed and it was Nat. Finally, after hours of waiting for his texts, he called me.

I excused myself although she ignored me. I shook my head and went outside for a while to answer the call. Some people looked at me, but I lowered my head to avoid their gazes.

Damn it. Where should I hide?

"Freen. Don't come out of the hospital yet." Nat stopped me from leaving. "There was an issue with your contract. Many reporters are waiting outside."

"What issue?" I asked irritably.

"I don't know. I think your manager did something terrible. I'll be there in a minute," he said and hung up.

What the hell did she do?

I tried to peek from the lobby and there was actually a lot. Some of them saw me, but the guards blocked their way.

My strides were heavy as I entered Becky's ward. She looked okay now and there was tissue everywhere.

"Freen?" she called my name.

"Yes?" I respond.

"If you forget me someday, babe. I'll make you remember me, every day." She smiled out of the blue and without looking at me.

That's so sweet, Becky, but sadly I won't do the same.