Chapter 26: Diagnosis

Nat arrived at Becky's house in the early hours of the morning, just as Fern had foretold. He held a bouquet of flowers, causing me to involuntarily roll my eyes as he entered.

France and Fern paid no mind to his arrival and continued with their breakfast. Becky was occupied in her office, buried under a mountain of tasks, and had requested that I bring her some food.

"Hey, Fern, where's your mom?" Nat inquired nonchalantly.

Fern gestured towards her mother's office, but Nat seemed oblivious. Unable to respond due to her mouth being full, Fern could only offer a muffled explanation.

"Can you please answer properly when I ask you something? Do I look like a delivery person to you?" Nat snapped, his frustration evident. He raised his hand threateningly, poised to strike Fern, but I intervened.

"I don't care if you're a friend of their mother's, but that doesn't grant you the right to harm them," I declared, forcefully removing his hand from its aggressive stance. I instructed the children to finish their milk and return to their rooms.

France promptly took Fern's hand, his touch gentle yet filled with concern, as if shielding his twin sister from the potential harm their uncle might inflict upon her.

A smirk played on Nat's lips as he let out a harsh breath. I knew he desired to strike back at me for intervening, but he couldn't. He was fully aware of the consequences that awaited him. I would never let such actions go unpunished. As I had stated before, I would reclaim Becky's heart, even if it meant causing someone pain.

"Now you're playing the heroine," Nat scoffed, a cruel chuckle escaping his lips. "Do you honestly believe you can change Becky's mind about being kind to her children?" he taunted, but I chose to ignore him.

I gathered the dishes, placing them in the sink, and walked past him as if he were invisible.

"Ah, I see. You're doing all of this for the sake of the kids, not for Becky, because you never loved her," Nat added, nodding in a mischievous manner. "Then why don't you reveal the truth to her and take your children away, so I can have her all to myself?" he whispered into my ear, prompting me to slap him.

It was a resounding slap, one he truly deserved for drugging Becky. Yet, it wasn't enough. I longed to strike him for the way he treated Fern, like some sort of animal he could harm whenever she erred. Even animals didn't deserve such mistreatment.

"Do you have any idea how much Becky cherishes our children? Do you comprehend the effort she puts into crafting every garment for them? Do you honestly believe you can have her all to yourself?" I chuckled derisively. "I never realized you were this foolish, Nat. You used to be intelligent back when you were in college. What happened to your brain?" I insulted, withholding any respect that he didn't deserve.

Nat's fist clenched, poised to attack me, when Becky arrived.

"Nat, what are you doing to her?" Becky rushed past me, positioning herself as a shield, ready to protect me if Nat were to land that punch.

I wasn't afraid, but witnessing her genuine concern and her willingness to shield me weakened my knees.

Why, Becky? Why are you so innately kind when it comes to me?

"Hand over the results and then you can leave," Becky demanded, snatching the envelope from Nat's other hand. As she did so, the flowers he had brought tumbled to the ground, but she paid them no mind.

Becky led me into her office, leaving Nat behind in the dining area. She placed the envelope on her desk and examined me closely, checking for any bruises or wounds.

"I'm fine. I apologize for disrespecting your visitor. I was only trying to protect Fern," I explained.

Becky let out a sigh, nodding in understanding.

"I know. France filled me in on everything. I should be the one apologizing," Becky said, lowering her head.

Curiosity piqued, I gestured towards the envelope on the desk. "What's that?" I inquired.

Becky opened it and read the results of Fern's lab tests. Relief washed over her, visible through her sigh and the smile that graced her face.

"Over the past few days, I noticed Fern becoming easily fatigued. She had been coughing and prone to fever. I took her to the doctor for tests, but the results took longer than anticipated," Becky explained. "Thankfully, it's nothing serious. The tests came back normal, and there's nothing wrong with my baby."

I couldn't shake off my doubt. Especially since it was Nat who had obtained the results from the doctor. He harbored such immense hatred for Fern, so why would he help her when he desperately wanted her out of his sight?

"I hope you don't find this rude, but I don't believe the results," I confessed.

Becky furrowed her brow. "Why not?"

"I am Fern's nanny, and I am well aware of what she's going through. Besides the symptoms you noticed, there are others. Last night, I noticed a bruise on her back. No one has laid a hand on her, mind you. And this morning, she complained about rashes," I informed her. "I fear this is not something ordinary. It could be leukemia."