Chapter 17: Look Alike

I didn't know how it started. I didn't know what happened. I've never been this miserable in my entire life. Not even when I was fighting for my life. When I was on the brink of my death.

I'd never imagined that I could continue without her—Becky. It's been years now since she left me. It's been years since I accepted the offer from the rival company to start again.

I wanted to fix myself first before I look for her. I wanted to do what she did when my family told her that she wasn't meant for me.

I endured a lot to get on top again.

"Freen, it's been years since you and Blew started as a partner. Are you sure he's a mere friend?" Mom asked while cutting the ingredients she needed for the dish.

I'm here at her house, informing her that I need to go to another country for a promotion. I become an ambassador and I need to travel for more than a year, and she won't see me that long.

"Mom, I told you that I don't like him and I don't see him as my real partner." I rolled my eyes and bit the apple on my hand.

Where's Nam anyway? She told me that she would fetch me here after the interview with Blew.

"Well, I'm just concerned. You're not getting any younger and it's time for you to build a family. To have a baby, you know?"

There she goes again. Asking me to reproduce. Why does she want a grandchild that badly? Are my nieces and nephews aren't enough?

"Mom, I'm sorry, but I can't give you what you want." I bitterly smiled at her. "I can build another house for you. Buy a new car, but a child? I can't afford to have one."

I don't want to have one if it's not from Becky.

I wonder where she is. Is she fine? Is she healthy? Does she forget about me now?

"Good afternoon, can I snatch Freen?" Nam asked my mother with a delightful smile.

Mom motioned her to go and get me as if she wanted me out of her sight.

I can't blame her though.

The moment we reached the airport, I saw Blew waiting for us. He was carrying his luggage and smiling widely as if he missed me or something.

Yes, we are both ambassadors and due to my work, I can't avoid him.

I wanted to, but I have to keep him with me for a little longer. Just a little longer.

"Are you excited?" Blew asked me as he carried all my bags.

I plastered a tight smile and nodded.

Nam noticed the sadness in me, so she knitted her brows and whispered in my ears.

"What happened earlier?"

"Mom and her wish." I rolled my eyes and shook my head.

I'm not in the mood to talk about this.

The entire flight was tiring, perhaps I was thinking too much, and it made me frustrated. I wanted to forget all the things my mother had said and focused on promoting the product I am advertising, but I fvcking can't.

"Ouch!" A little girl who bumped into me groaned when she stumbled on the floor. I didn't see her coming because I was too occupied.

"Sorry, does it hurt?" I asked and helped her stand up.

I saw her identification card and I think she's from school. Why does a kindergarten student here at the airport?

"Fern..." I was trying to read her name but she was so fast and took her ID card from me.

"It's Fern Becca Armstrong," she said politely.

My eyebrows knitted and looked at her face as my body trembled. Why does this girl look exactly like me?

"Fern! I told you not to run!" Another kid shouted from the back and Fern waved happily at him.

They look like twins.

When the boy reached Fern, he stopped for a while and chased his breath. He was also wearing a uniform and an ID.

"Is he your twin?" I asked the little girl and she nodded immediately.

"Look, France. That lady looks exactly like us." Fern giggled and pointed at me. "Do you think she will be a great nanny?"

Nanny? Do they need a nanny?

"She looks gorgeous and rich. For sure Uncle Nat won't accept her." France shook his head and looked at me from head to toe.

My knees weakened when I heard that familiar name. Nat—Becky's best friend. He was the one who was taking care of these twins who looked like me.

They must be my children, but how did they become twins?

I knelt to level their height and smiled at them sweetly.

"Fern, France. Would you mind if I ask where is your mother?" I asked nervously.

So this is the feeling of seeing my children for the first time. I wanted to hug them and shower them with kisses but it would only scare them.

Fern and France looked at each other. Fern lowered her head and started to sniff.

"She's gone."