41. Close call

Flying higher through the mountains paths, the brother had reached their destination. They noticed through the doors window. On the other side were the girls in the cage. Gru used all the weapons the suit had to offer, but not even the laser got him through.

"There's got to be another way in"

Having his back to his brother, Gru wasn't aware that they got company. Dru was frightened by the sight, poking his brother for attention, "Brother, do dragons exist?"

"Not now, I have to get this door open"

Suddenly, he was pushed away by Dru. He was about to shout at his brother's ridiculous behavior, as his sight had gone over to the door. The door didn't take damage, but the metal was glowing. Looking at who Dru pointed to, he swallowed hard. A giant dragon appeared, also a robotic invention by the legends.

"They sure had a lot of time to develop such monsters"

"Gru what shall we do?"

He gave Dru a slap for that stupid question, "We have to get that door open!"

Unlike them, the dragon was ready and set, to burn them into a crisp. Shaken by the sight, Dru couldn't move an inch. Gru had to give him another slap, explaining his plan, "Relax brother, it is not real. Remember Bratt's live action figure? It's just the same thing."

"But this one breathes fire!"

"And the doll shot a laser that can cut through anything. Focus, I distract him and you find a way inside the robot."

"How should I get inside?"

Gru glared at him, "I don't know...read the manual...wait for it to swallow you...how would I know?!"

They didn't have time to argue, constantly running away from the large piece of metal. Gru may not know it, but he actually gave Dru a hint. He gave it a try. For the attempt, Gru had to get a hit. It was the only way, otherwise the dragon would have moved around uncontrollably. At the back was a small opening, which Dru could easily open with one of his tools from his suit. Inside, it was all high-tech of the highest quality. He had no idea where to start. Through a small window, he could see his brother, getting caught by the dragon's claw, "Oh no!" Dru panicked, seeing the claws heading towards the giant mouth, "Oh no no no!!!" Grabbing a handful of cable, he ripped them off all at once. From the window, the hand began to shake Gru like mixing a cocktail.

Gru screamed out, "DRU!!!!!!!!!!!"

Panicking even more, another pair of cables was destroyed. The hand was now banging on the ground, "DRUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Fearing the worst, he pushed all buttons present and turned all switches possible. Now...it finally stopped. Pleased with his effort, he climbed out and went straight to Gru, who puked horribly. A little shaky on his legs, Dru leaned him next to the door. After all, they still needed a way to get into that door. "Don't worry brother, I got an idea!"

Gru's stomach turned, "Oh no."

Dru thought, if we can't get in on our own, the dragon might be able to do it for them. All he needs to do was finding the right way to make the thing move. Everything he gave a try, just wasted more of their time. Dru stepped back and looked at his surroundings, noticing one main detail he missed out, "What is this button doing?"

Click!

A robot voice erupted, "This device will self-destruct in ten...nine...eight....!"

"AH!" jumping out of the dragon, he ran as fast to Gru as he could, "We have to go!"

"What did you do?!"

There was no time to explain, he had to pull his brother to a save place. Just as he was about to shove him passed the door, the dragon exploded. One of the claws came off, flying directly towards Gru. It only missed him by an inch, but it also destroyed the entire door. Gru wasn't sure if he was happy or really furious at his brother.

"Gru!"

"Uncle Dru!"

At last, they found the girls. Getting them out of their cages, they also saved Carl. With Agnes on Gru's back they needed a way out now; the girls have to go into hospital as soon as possible. The only one that refused to go, were Carl and Margo. They didn't want to leave me behind. For Gru, he couldn't care less about me, "She caused all this and we don't own her anything."

Margo thinks otherwise, "She isn't bad, I know she has a good side too."

"What makes you think she can change...she is a villain to the very core."

Gru noticed how she looked him in the eyes, "So were you...and even you were able to change."

"I had reasons to change"

Margo grabbed his hand, "And does she, we just give her this chance."

Carl nodded at the girl, "She is right."Gru was about to protest, as even his own brother took their side. Before this turned out to another pointless argument, Carl gave the idea to split up. He would take the girls out and the brothers look for me. Trusting the man, Gru handed over Agnes, "Make sure they get out of here safely."

"You have my word"

Dru and Gru used their suits to fly out. Above them is a major hall, with a huge computer in the middle. Gru inspected the screen, "What is all this?" Dru stood beside him, pointing at something interesting, "Hey, that is dad's emblem!"

"What are the legends up to?"

Suddenly, as rough voice was heard out of nowhere, "Well, what have we here? Isn't it Robert's sons?"

The sound caught him them off guard, that they didn't see the trap coming. A cage have come flying from the ceiling keeping them trapped.

Gru sighted frustrated, "Are you kidding me? One problem follows another, isn't there an end to this humiliation?!"

The voice got louder, coming from behind the computer, "Don't worry, this is coming to an end...today."