36. The leader of destruction

The list I had was not usable; everyone of the list was crossed out. It had to be someone who knew me well, knows my strategies, my way of thinking...my secret...

"They wouldn't dare."

Dru heard me say it out loud, not to someone in particular, "Who do you mean?"

"Just some guys I have known for some time..." my eyes turned dark, going through a system to track down some numbers on my phone, "...and they got a motive to do me harm."

"And who are they?"

"They are W...why the hell should I tell you?!"

"Because we are partners"

I couldn't even look him in the eye anymore, "Just temporary...you don't need to know everything."

To make him useful, I suggested him to take care of his brother. His head developed a bump where Dru had hit him. He was still out cold, lying there like a seal on a stranded beach. He should hurry though, otherwise Gru's minions will wake him up with rather harsh treatments. Dru stopped Dave before the baseball bat had hit Gru's crown jewels. I couldn't resist but watch them from the corner of my eye, enjoying the torture Gru received from his brother, even if it was not on purpose.

During a few more interruptions from the yellow children, I got the location of my enemy.

"So, you are hiding in your own home? Suit you well...Wendigo. You seem to lose your touch." However, it wasn't the only one I looked for. I wasn't surprised, as another signal was overlapping with the first target. It was clear; they were both against me, two legends against one. Unlike them, I don't trust those two men behind me as partners, but I don't have much choice. I can't go against Wendigo and Horrific alone, this would be suicidal.

Getting up from my seat, the minions followed me close by. Now standing above the knocked out man, I used one of my gadgets that release electricity, once it gets into contact. In seconds, he was wide awake, staring around like a deer caught in headlights, "What happened? Where am I?!" Dru gave him a short explanation of what was going on, while he was in dreamland. Gru just blinked the whole time, not saying a word. That is until his eyes stopped at my presence, "And who is that?"

"I am sh..."

"N/A, your babysitter"

Damn you Dru! I might consider working with Gru only; it won't make any difference if that blond idiot is removed from this world. But I doubt that I had the time and permission to do so...pity. Life would be a lot easier, without unnecessary distractions. The minions weren't any better, constantly making trouble. The ones I ordered to make themselves useful were burning the house down, or at least they tried to. I am starting to rethink my decision...being suicidal doesn't sound so bad anymore...

"Why is the babysitter in this outfit?"

"Halloween costume" I said in a rather bored voice.

Dru just didn't get the hint, "She is a villain. She is Shadow."

"What?!" Gru's eyes were fixed on me, looking surprised and curious at the same time."

"Its pardon and as for this whole situation...I am no one's henchmen" I pointed at the two, "You are my minions and you listen to me." Before they could complain, I cut them off right away, "I know who we are dealing with, I know the location and their way of thinking. Either you cooperate and take orders or I go on my own, your choice." Gru didn't look like he wanted to join me. I added one more thing, "Your girl's life is on the line, can you afford to refuse my offer?"

His loud sigh was more or less his answer.

Dru supports his brother, "You can count on us N/A...I mean Shadow."

"I hope so, otherwise I will feed you to the fish."

"Fish?" Gru watched, as I introduced them to the plan, "The headquarters of the legends are in the middle of the sea, in Antarctica." Annoyed that Dru find it important to ask me about the legends, I made it short, "...yeah, our enemies are the other two legends, now let me continue!"

But he didn't, "You are a legend, why would they fight you?"

He obviously wasn't taught the nature of villainy and business and how cruel they can be to another," To have partners aren't always loyal or trustworthy, it's the main rule as a villain: Never trust your henchmen or partners blind, always be skeptical."

Dru was more naïve than I thought he would be, "But we are partners, you can trust us."

I left it up to Gru to deal with his brother; meanwhile, I took care of the main stuff. We needed all the gadgets and the villain wheel from Robert; the other gadgets were Gru's inventions. During our flight to the location, it was awfully quiet. To be sure, I looked over my shoulder to see Dru in his seat. He wasn't goofy or anything, just silent, staring out the window. This was just too awkward, leaning over to Gru, "Hey, what did you do to your brother?"

"What do you mean?"

"I don't hear him...normally I would find this relaxing, but in his case...it's creepy."

Gru shrugged, "I just told him not back off a little, nothing else." He seems to find it just as weird, looking into the mirror. For a while it stayed quiet, till Gru found this as the perfect opportunity to ask me out, "Your job as a babysitter...did you accept it to spy on us?"

"What give you that idea?"

A stupid question I have to admit. His explanation was more than obvious, why I should have.

I sighted, "At first, I just needed a part-time job. It all started as I found out who you really are."

"What is it that you want from us?" the way he said it was far from curious, more like an indirect warning. While our flight was without any trouble, I could look at him in the eye, "I want to settle a score...for the life that was taken from me."