Chapter 37: Protect Him

Faith Mabel

Eltan was freaking out.

It was the first time I was seeing him like this, and knowing I was partially responsible for it made things worse.

If only I had told him that I was going to the pharmacy, he wouldn't have rushed to look for me while leaving Xian alone. And right now, we couldn't find him anywhere.

Eltan already called his men to send out a search party. They were going through the CCTV footage around the park. Whoever took Xian even threw away the phone Eltan had given him.

"Shouldn't you let Alena and Elian know?" I asked hesitantly while Eltan was pacing around in front of the house.

"No, they will panic. If I can't find Xian in the next six hours, I will let them know. But not now," he said stubbornly.

"But wouldn't they have a better idea of who could have done this?" I suggested.

"I'm pretty sure it's the job of a mafia gang, not someone from their rival companies. So Elian wouldn't have a clue. He isn't involved with that side, after all."

I felt so useless. Here Eltan was worrying so much, and I could do nothing to help him.

Although I knew someone who could help, I didn't want to let her out unless it was strictly required. I didn't want to share Eltan. Even last night, I was happy that Eltan decided not to visit Charles and Andrew in the end.

Besides, Mutiny wouldn't know how to help, either. She wasn't a magician, after all. How would she know where Xian was—

"I don't give a fuck! Just keep looking!" Eltan shouted on the phone before hanging up. "God, what should I do?"

Looking at his frenzied self, I realized I was just being delusional, wasn't I?

Given the current situation, Mutiny would be better suited to handle it.

But before I let Mutiny in control, I wanted to give Eltan something only I could give him.

While he was pacing around, I wrapped my arms around him.

He got startled.

Before he could question me, I murmured, "Everything will be alright. Don't worry. You will find him. I'm going to be here for you throughout it all."

These words would probably mean nothing to most, but I knew that sometimes all Eltan needed to hear was an assurance from someone else to not spiral.

No matter how strong he pretended to be, he was broken inside, craving love and care.

I knew he was extremely overprotective of me only because he was afraid to lose me. If I were to be gone, there would be no one to give him that love and care.

"I'm leaving Mutiny with you. I'm sure she can help you," I whispered and closed my eyes.

###

I opened my eyes and found Eltan staring at my face. I was about to grin, over the moon at being able to see him, but I held back by seeing stress etched into his handsome face.

I didn't especially care for the kid. But he was clearly important to Eltan, which means it was important for me to help him find Xian. I didn't like to see such a worried expression on my beloved's face.

"Mutiny?" Eltan called out hesitantly.

"Yes, your one and only Mutiny," I tried to give him a normal smile, but it was impossible; it probably came out creepy. "Did you get any updates yet?"