Chapter 20: Challenge Accepted

Eltan Storm

The next day, I went to the casino directly, instead of Faith's apartment. I didn't want to meet Mutiny. That woman could go to hell—wait, saying that felt wrong. Faith didn't deserve hell, but Mutiny did.

Ugh, I swear it was so confusing.

Nevertheless, I wanted to see Faith. During the time of her work shift, Faith should be there.

As expected, I found the auburn-haired woman behind the counter, her back turned toward me, putting a few glasses on the shelf. A smile made its way to my lips at her sight, but it dropped a little as I remembered our last conversation.

I hoped she felt okay now. She seemed terrified until Mutiny's switch got turned on. I honestly didn't understand how it all worked. Though I was going to try my best.

Sensing the presence of a customer behind her, Faith chirped, "What would you like to have, sir?"

"You," I answered without hesitation.

Her shoulders squeaked hearing my voice, and she quickly turned around to face me with a huge contagious grin, her dimples full on display. "Eltan!" she squealed, and I suddenly got a deja vu from last night.

Umm... as much as I loved to see her happy, should she be that happy to see me after what I revealed to her during our last meeting?

"I was wondering when we would meet again after yesterday. Sorry for ruining our moment by throwing up—"

"Wait, why are you saying it now? We already met again after that, right?" I let out.

Faith was stumped at that. She took a pause to think, then her face lit up in understanding. "Oh, that's right. You came to pick me up for work. I don't know why that slipped my mind." She chuckled at her silliness.

My confusion got worse. "Faith," I cautiously called her out, and she gazed at me with her innocent eyes. "Do you remember what we talked about last?"

"Yes. You said you wanted to tell me something, which you haven't said yet. What's with that, huh?" She placed her hands on her hips and looked at me in a reprimanding manner.

Wait, what? What's going on? It's like we never even had that conversation about her split personality—

Wait a minute, she went into a shock after it, and Mutiny appeared. Does that mean Faith is in a denial and has conveniently forgotten about it?

Shit, now what should I do? What's the right thing to do?

Of course, I had to tell her, otherwise, how else was she going to get better? But... at the same time, looking at her good mood, I didn't want to ruin it. I had to be more gentle about revealing such a sensitive issue to her. And right now wasn't the time.

"What I wanted to say to you was..." I created suspense, and she leered at me in curiosity. "That I miss you every time you are out of my sight," I ended up spouting a cheesy, cliché line, which wasn't a lie at all.

Faith's cheek got red as she let out a laugh and said, "Shut up, that's not what you wanted to say."

"Believe it or not, that's exactly what I wanted to say."

"No way." She gave me a suspicious look. "You sounded pretty serious earlier."

"I'm serious about it, though. We don't see each other enough."

"That's because we are both working adults," she reasoned. "Speaking of which, I don't even know what you do during the day. You don't come to Berserkers for sure."