Chapter 14: A New Lead

Eltan Storm

"I feel so bad, Faith. I kind of feel like it's my fault. Especially since it happened the day after I turned him down. Maybe I was too harsh on him?"

"No, Candy. It wasn't your fault. It was just an accident, not a suicide."

I listened to the conversation between Candy and Faith while leisurely sipping my drink at the bar counter. Today was Faith's first day back at work after her week off, and Candy was expressing her sorrows to Faith.

"I think someone may have cursed him," Faith added, giving me a narrowed look.

I simply continued enjoying my drink, not a shred of guilt tugging at my heart.

Candy nodded and said, "I should go now. Or else, Boss might think I am slacking off."

"It's alright. You're allowed to mourn as much as you want, but just don't hog Faith when I'm here, okay?" My expression was normal, but my tone was only an edge below threatening.

Both Faith and Candy seemed like a shiver ran down their spines. Faith too because she now knew I carried a gun for whatever reasons. I didn't explain it to her, and she didn't ask me to elaborate either.

"Yes, Boss," Candy said in a robotic voice and was about to scurry away before she remembered something. "Oh, I forgot to ask you what I came to you for. Why haven't you been around the club this last week?"

"I told you I was on leave."

"But you always come for clubbing."

Faith's nose flared in anger. "What's with you and clubbing references I don't get? Stop confusing me with that other woman. That isn't me."

"Chill, girl. No need to get all hyper."

"Sorry about that. I just..."

"It's fine. I'll get going now." With that, Candy left us alone.

I opened my mouth to say something on the scene when Faith spoke up, "Please no comments on this. I just hate it when people confuse me with this other lady."

"Yeah, you told me about her." If Faith didn't question me too much, I shouldn't do that to her either.

She sighed and leaned on the counter. "Off-topic. But what you said to Candy earlier was very rude, you know?" she mumbled.

I shrugged. "Well, you know me. I like things to be my way. Plus, it's not like Mark was her boyfriend. She didn't even like him. So she's not actually sad. Just feeling bad for him."

Faith sighed. "You are so cold. How can you not feel empathy for other people?"

"Because I'm very selective about that."

She sighed once more, then managed to smile. "I guess I should just be glad that I'm on that list."

See, this was why I liked Faith. She didn't sweat over such small stuff. She was cool, and even after I showed that side of mine to her a few days ago, she wasn't scared of me. At least not about herself. Even just now, she was scared for Candy.

"That's right. By the way, can I have another glass?" I asked.

"Of course," she chirped and served me another one of her specials. "So tell me about your day," she asked with genuine curiosity.

I smiled and was about to tell her when I knocked over my drink while playing with the glass, making its content spill a little on my pants.

"Oh, shit, let me clean that up." Faith hurried to wipe the counter so that more drink didn't spill.