Chapter 16: Lookalike

Eltan Storm

Faith was standing in front of me in a biker's outfit, and I couldn't connect the pieces of the puzzle. She was the one who said that motorcycle racing was a straight way to death, and here she was.

"Faith, what the hell are you doing here?" I couldn't stop the anger from seeping into my voice.

I looked around and all I saw was danger for her. This place filled with criminals and offenders wasn't suitable for her. She shouldn't be here, let alone participating in such risky activities.

At my question, Faith's earlier grin was gone and replaced by annoyance, which was an expression I had never seen on her before. "My name is Mutiny," she responded in a clipped tone, choosing not to answer my question.

I bit back a groan and said, "I get that it's your alias here. But my question is, why are you here?"

She placed her helmet on the bike and retorted, "Why should I answer you? What are you, my boyfriend? No, right?"

"What are you saying—" I paused abruptly when Denver spoke into my earpiece about whether he should shoot her or not. Immediately, I gave him the abort mission signal and said to Faith, "This place is not safe to talk."

"Feel free to leave then. I'm going to collect my prize money." With that, she started to walk away from me. But I grabbed her wrist. "What the hell? Let go—"

"Shut up and just come with me," I cut her off harshly, "Or do you not know by now that I hate disobedience?"

"Then you're up for hating me a lot," she snickered, "Because I hate obeying anyone." She tried to wriggle out of my grasp, but I tightened my grip and pulled her to a secluded corner.

I pushed her against the wall and pinned her hands above her head, caging her. It all felt like dejá vu, except this time Faith was acting rebellious. "Now you have got no choice but to obey me," I told her.

She let out a mocking-laugh. "You think this scares me? Newsflash: it doesn't." Her face turned sinister as she stood on her tiptoes and brought her face closer to me. "Because I know you can't do anything to me." I increased my grip on her wrist enough to bruise, and she just snorted. "You know, I like the pain. It's soothing."

"What the hell is your problem?" I couldn't help but grit out.

Why was Faith acting like this? It was like she was an entirely different person. Her looks only matched Faith's. Everything else, starting from her attitude to confidence, was opposite of her.

"My problem is, you think that you can dominate me. But I'm not that easy—"

"Are you forgetting that I'm your boss?" I questioned, sounding dead serious.

She scoffed. "I'm not forgetting anything. Because you have never been my boss."

"So are you saying you don't work at Berserkers?"

"Nope, I don't. I'm just a regular customer. I love clubbing there."

Not a single word she was saying made sense. How could she just deny working at—

Hold on. What if she is not Faith at all? What if it's Faith's twin?

In an instant, I backed away from her. It felt wrong to be in close proximity with someone who wasn't Faith.

Her face clouded with confusion. "What's wrong? It's like I electrocuted you suddenly. I didn't know I could do that."

"Are you really not Faith?" I asked.