Chapter 35: A Single System

Eltan Storm

"Why did he call you Daddy?" Mutiny asked, still not believing and holding Xian hostage.

"Because I told him we were going to meet his daddy," Alena giggled. "Technically, I didn't lie, though. Because we are going to meet Elian after this."

"Mommy, you didn't tell me we were meeting Eltan," Xian complained with a pout.

"That's what you call a surprise, baby!" Alena cooed. "Also, call him uncle," she added a little sternly.

"It's fine. I will feel old if he calls me uncle." I turned my gaze back to Mutiny who was still skeptical of the entire situation. I sighed. "If you haven't got it yet, Alena was intentionally trying to create misunderstanding for fun. That's why she was clinging on to me earlier and tricked Xian into calling me Daddy," I explained.

That was when Mutiny believed me and dropped her hostility toward Xian and Alena.

"Xian, come here." I forwarded my hands to have Xian shifted into my arms. I couldn't trust Mutiny with a kid. She was bound to be a disaster.

"Eltan!" Xian cheered gleefully.

I smiled at his excitement. "How has my favorite nephew been?"

"Not good. Mommy wasn't letting me play outside for an entire week!" he complained as if that was the most serious global problem.

"Oh, no, how could your mommy do that?" I feigned my shock, despite the fact it was my idea to not let Xian out of the house, even if they were in California, away from all the troubles.

"I know! Do you know..." Xian started chatting with me while I started walking to the living room with him in my arms. Alena followed us after locking the door, updating me on their short stay in California and complaining how Elian didn't come to pick them up, so she was mad at him.

I didn't say anything on that topic since I knew that Elian was busy planning a surprise for her as it was their anniversary tomorrow.

I noticed Mutiny still standing at the threshold awkwardly.

"Hey, Faith, come join us!" Alena went to drag her inside before I could do it.

Oh, right, I didn't tell Alena about Faith's split personality.

Mutiny tried to put up a normal smile, but it went without saying it was hard for her because she rarely smiled like that.

As she was sitting down beside me, I heard her mumbling, "Why is it me in this situation, not Faith? I'm no good at this."

I felt the urge to comfort her that she could also try to get along with kids if she didn't intimidate them. But that was impossible. She always put up an intimidating front.

In the end, I guess, this sort of stuff was Faith's specialty. It was like both of them were incomplete without the other.

"Hey, can you look after Xian for some time? I have something to talk about with Big Sis," I said.

Both of the women seemed surprised because Alena clearly got the hint that "Faith" was no good with kids.

"Eltan, it can wait, can't it? I'll be here for an hour or so—"

"It's urgent. I need your advice," I urged.

Alena took a good look at my face and let out a sigh. "Fine." She turned her gaze over to her son and handed him her phone. "Watch some cartoons on my phone and be a good boy, okay?"