Chapter 8: Invitation To Home

Eltan Storm

"See you tomorrow then, Faith," Mark said before he stepped out of the car.

Faith tried to roll down her window to say bye, but I locked it. Assuming the button was broken, she started waving at him. So I drove off, cutting her off mid-wave.

Besides, I pinned Mark's location in my GPS. With the way Faith and he chatted all the way while making me feel like a third wheel, I didn't think I would feel comfortable keeping him alive very long.

Once we were out of Mark's lane, Faith turned her gaze at me and earnestly said, "Thank you for dropping Mark off."

"It was no problem." As long as I got to see you.

"Sorry if we made you feel left out."

"It's okay. It's not like we three have anything in common to discuss." What was I saying? Where was this understanding side of me coming from? Didn't I throw this side of me under the rug when I took over the gang?

She smiled. "That's very understanding of you. Thank you."

"You know, you have to stop thanking me. We are friends, right?"

"Friends or no friends, I say 'thank you' whenever it's deserved," she replied.

"But you thank a customer every time they come in. What are they doing to deserve it? Getting drunk and wasting money?"

She laughed. "They are still increasing your business, silly."

"But that's my business. You get nothing out of it."

"Tips," she admitted sheepishly. "Being extra polite never hurts when I get big tips in return."

I chuckled.

We extended our talk for twenty more minutes with me intentionally going around in a circle around her block, pretending not to find her apartment complex so that we could spend more time together. She was so lost in our talks that she didn't notice, either.

Finally, I stopped the car in front of her building.

"Oh, we got here so soon," she said while taking off her seatbelt.

I internally laughed at her lost sense of time.

"Wow, look at that, the sun is almost coming out. Sorry for making you drop me home. You could have gone home and caught some sleep already—"

"Like I said, anything for you."

She chuckled. "You're such a loyal friend."

"I'm a loyal everything. A loyal friend, a loyal boyfriend—"

"You have a girlfriend?" she asked instantly, and I internally rejoiced that she took my bait.

I arched an eyebrow. "Why would you be interested to know?"

She bit her bottom lip before she responded, "I'm your friend. I think I should at least know whether you have a girlfriend or not."

"Fair enough. But I prefer not to answer that." Let her wonder for a few days.

Her shoulders slumped in defeat, seeming disappointed for not getting an answer. "Fine. I'll get going then. Goodnight—err, is good morning more appropriate?"

I laughed lightly and said, "Sleep well, Faith."

She smiled at my response and said, "Sleep well, too. But don't sleep in the middle of driving."