Chapter 10: Unexpected Development

Eltan Storm

I'm sorry, Mom and Dad. I'm letting you guys down again.

I couldn't board the jet at the last moment. More like, I didn't.

I tried to force myself to go to Arizona tonight, but the continuous flashes of Faith's sad and disappointed looks made me order my driver to take a U-turn from the airport.

After that, I went home and grabbed my birthday present for Faith. And here I was right now, at the Berserkers' casino bar counter, trying to get Faith's attention as she busily served drinks to the customers.

"Hey, Faith," I called out, but she didn't pay me any heed and flashed a smile at the customer to whom she served a drink. "Hey?" I tried again, but she rushed to make another drink for a new customer.

I was starting to get annoyed—annoyed at the fact that she was paying someone else more attention than me.

I stood up from the stool and went to stand right in front of her.

"One Faith's special," I ordered.

"Just a minute—"

"Faith, who am I?"

She paused in her movements and looked at me cautiously. I cocked an eyebrow, urging her to answer. "My boss slash friend?" she replied reluctantly.

"Right. I'm your boss slash friend, which means you serve me first whenever I come. No one else should matter before me," I uttered, maintaining unwavering eye contact between us.

She gulped and nodded slowly.

"So, my drink?"

"On it." She gave me a hurried salute and started making my drink.

I smiled at her cuteness and sat down on a stool again. I glanced at my wristwatch and found there were ten minutes till midnight. Candy wasn't anywhere in sight; she must be looking over the party arrangements. The birthday party was going to be held in the ballroom of the Berserkers. Since Candy was in charge, all I had to do was guide Faith there on time.

"Here's your drink, Boss," Faith said as she neatly placed the glass of red liquid in front of me.

She was about to walk away to receive another customer when I reminded her, "Faith, come chat with me unless you want—"

Her eyes widened, and she rushed back to me. "I'm coming back, please don't fire me!"

I looked at her in disbelief, then I chuckled. "I was going to say 'unless you want to make me upset.'"

"Oh." She flushed with embarrassment.

"How could you think I would want to fire you when you're the reason I come to this place every night?" I was abandoning my most important mission for her, so it was about time she had to know just how important she had become to me.

"I, um, I just..." Her words failed her, but her blushing face gave me the answer I needed as a consolation. "I'm sorry," she settled.

I sipped my drink a little and said, "Anyway, I don't feel like sitting here tonight. Would you mind taking a walk with me around the casino? I want to check up on the other employees."

"But how can I accompany—" she cut herself off when I gave her an are-you-serious look. "Okay, I will come."

I smiled and assured her, "You have got nothing to worry about as long as I'm with you."