Chapter 28: Vulnerable Side

Eltan Storm

"Damn, New York is so much colder than home," Mutiny commented as she stepped out of the jet, rubbing her palms up and down her upper arms.

"And of course, it's past one in the morning and you're wearing too light clothes for this season," I retorted.

She rolled her eyes. "I didn't select these stupid clothes. Your beloved girlfriend did. So scold her when she's back."

"Then bring her back."

"Nope." She stuck out her tongue at me and ran off straight toward the car awaiting us.

I shook my head in disbelief and motioned to Denver to start preparing for the attack tomorrow night, while I took her to where we would be staying. I needed to keep an eye out for her.

Just as I entered the SUV, I noticed that Mutiny was not sitting beside me, but instead in the driver's seat.

"What are you doing?" I asked, exasperated.

"I wanna go for a drive!"

"It's one in the morning, Mutiny," I reasoned.

"So? It's safer, don't you think?" She grinned.

"No. Besides, we are here for a job. Let's accomplish that, then we can—"

"No!" she objected and turned her face to me. "I wanna go for a drive now, that means now!"

I gritted my teeth. "I said no, didn't I? Just listen to me for once."

"I won't listen. Either we are going for a drive right now or I'm getting out of this car and am gonna go wherever my feet take me to."

I sighed, feeling a migraine appear from her request.

Getting no response from me, she decided, "Fine, the latter it is." She stepped out of the car and started walking toward the barren lands around the runway.

I let out an annoyed groan and got out of the car as well. I swear this woman only knew how to create problems for me!

I ran after her, and before she could have the chance to protest, I swept her off the ground.

"What the hell?" she let out in surprise and started flailing her limbs around.

"I'm listening to none of your demands," I firmly uttered and walked back toward the car. I pushed her into the backseat and got into the driver's seat myself, announcing, "I'm driving."

"Hey, that's no fair!"

"What, did you think you were the only one who could get their way?" I smirked and strapped on the seatbelt before driving off.

Mutiny puffed her cheeks and crossed her arms, leaning back against the seat. "I knew I should have brought Rebel along," she mumbled, and I couldn't help but get the urge to chuckle.

Unexpectedly, as much as I loved having my way, it was kinda worth the effort to struggle for it.

###

"This is not the picture I had in mind for New York," Mutiny let out when we were driving through the lanes of the quiet suburbs in the middle of the night.

"I told you I will take you around downtown after we are done with our mission, didn't I? So stop complaining," I responded.

She rolled her eyes and remained quiet until I parked the car in the driveway of a normal-looking two-storied house.