Chapter 24: All Mine

Faith Mabel

I wanted to laugh at what Eltan said, saying it must be a joke, but I knew he wouldn't joke about something like this.

It took me more than a few seconds to let it sink in.

He is the leader of a mafia gang?

I didn't exactly know what mafia gangs did. But they were known as bad people. Even the people who murdered my parents belonged to the mafia. But... Eltan couldn't be bad, right?

He was always so nice to me. He made me feel special. He did everything for my sake.

But the hands he always touched me were stained with blood. That thought was scary. I didn't know how to feel about this.

Just when I thought he was perfect... he turned out to have the same profession as the murderers of my parents. Why couldn't anything in my life go smoothly for a long time?

My head throbbed with a familiar pain, but I suppressed it.

I gulped slowly and asked, "Really?"

Eltan nodded. "I'm sorry, I didn't tell you this in the beginning. But I wasn't sure how to bring it up with you, and I understand if you are afraid of me—"

"I think... I just need some time to absorb this. I'll listen more to you later."

The hurt on his face was clear, and it made my chest hurt as well. But at that moment, I really needed some fresh air. I always went out for a short walk after my first shift ended. I needed to deal with Eltan's truth with a calm mind.

"Okay, goodnight. I'll see you tomorrow," Eltan said with a smile that didn't reach his eyes.

I gave a curt nod and made my way to the staff room to grab my purse and put away my uniform.

I left the casino and started walking down the streets, lost in my thoughts. The cool night helped organize my thoughts.

For some reason, the fact Eltan was in the mafia wasn't bothering me anymore as I started to remember what he had done for me from the beginning. He always put in his efforts to make me happy.

More importantly, he was the only person who seemed like he loved me. He had been my only hope in this dark world that was threatening to crush me every day.

Afraid of the one I loved? Why should I be?

Come to think of it, even if he did kill me in the future for any reason, that was fine. Because until then, I would be happy with him. As long as I was with him, I would be happy. My life was just a monotone routine without him in it. It would just be better to die if I couldn't live with him. Who cares if he killed other people and was involved in the shady business? At least I didn't. It didn't matter to me.

I chuckled a little to myself at the realization.

When did I start loving Eltan that much?

At this point, I was totally crazy in love with him.

That's the only thing we both have in common, spoke a voice in my head.

I halted in my steps as a pounding ache spread throughout my head. I tried to reach up my hand to my forehead to massage it, only to find no control over it.

C'mon, Faith, lemme take over. It's midnight already and I am bored. I wanna dance a little. Plus, it has been a while since I gambled with those rich old geezers, the snarky voice got louder in my head.