Chapter 23: The Truth About Me

Eltan Storm

"A trip to New York?" Faith looked at me in utter surprise in the midst of making my drink at the bar.

"Yes."

"Why all of a sudden?"

"I was told that there's a perfect location to open the second branch of Berserkers. I want to check it out, but I also don't want to go alone without you, so what do you think? Wanna come?" I lied straight through my teeth.

Since I was being forced to bring along Mutiny to New York, I had to give a viable reason to Faith. I couldn't just tell her that we were going to massacre an organization. She would faint in a heartbeat.

"You will be on paid leave as it is work-related," I added.

Faith gave a thoughtful look at that. "When are you planning to go?"

"In a week."

I had asked Mutiny for a week's time for preparation. I needed my best men to come along, and for all of them to be free from their current assignments, I needed some time.

"As much as you love your job here, I'm sure even you want a change of pace, right? We will be together the entire time. Doesn't that sound fun?" I tried to convince her, even though I wasn't sure how much fun we would be able to have.

"Even if you say that..." she said hesitantly, "What would everyone else think that you are only taking me along?"

"They would think the boss is taking his girlfriend to New York for a trip, what else?" I simply said.

"I don't mean that—"

"What you mean, I know. But I don't care. I'm gonna take my girlfriend wherever the hell I want."

I promise our next trip will be an actual fun, romantic one. For this time, I'm sorry.

Faith hummed and passed me my drink. "If you're really insisting that much, then I guess I will go."

"Finally," I sighed in relief and took a sip from the glass. I glanced at the time in my watch and said, "Your first shift is about to end, right?"

"Yes! I have a break of half an hour before the second shift starts."

I didn't say anything to that and sipped my drink quietly. If only I could tell her that she didn't even work a second shift and that it was just Mutiny taking over her.

My eyes fell on the bandage around her wrist; it pained me to watch it. Even though I knew exactly how she got the injury, I had still asked her how she got it. I was utterly surprised when she said she didn't remember and just assumed she fell and somehow hurt herself because she was a klutz. I barely stopped myself from telling her that she concurred all these injuries because of Mutiny's craziness, not her clumsiness.

I wondered how long I would keep hiding such a big truth from her, how long I would be wary of Mutiny coming out, and how long I would say nothing about my mafia side.

"—tan. Eltan!"

I snapped out of my thoughts and looked at Faith staring at me with a confused look. "Sorry, you were saying something?"

"Your phone is ringing."

I looked down to find my phone buzzing on the counter, flashing Alena's name. Faith excused herself to go to the break room.

As soon as I received the call, Alena's rebuking voice rang through, "Eltan, are you crazy? What the hell are you thinking?"

"I'm thinking you're the crazy one for just starting to yell for no reason," I stated flatly.