Chapter 31: Blown Away

Eltan Storm

"Eltan, why are you taking me there?" Faith asked nervously.

I gripped the steering wheel tighter, trying to keep myself composed. No matter how things went tonight, I couldn't afford to lose my cool. "I will tell you later."

I couldn't tell Faith that I was taking her to the enemy's den with me hoping Mutiny would come sooner or later. I had to make up a lie, or maybe, I should just tell her the truth. But no, what if there was an adverse effect and she fainted? That would be more troublesome.

From my peripheral vision, I noticed Faith becoming quiet and rubbing her palms up and down her upper arms. She seemed scared.

It instinctively made me reach out my hand to grasp one of hers. "What's wrong? Why do you look scared?"

She remained quiet for a bit before clutching my hand tighter and speaking up, "I am having a bad feeling about this like the day my parents died."

"Nothing like that is going to happen, trust me," I tried to assure her.

She hummed and continued looking outside the window while I silently drove past the dark streets covered by tall trees on both sides.

In a few minutes, we got to the location. I parked the car in an inconspicuous spot and glanced at Faith. I wondered what I should do to bring out Mutiny.

I took a deep breath and let out, "Finally, it's time to take our revenge." I watched Faith for any change of reactions, but nothing out of the ordinary was on her face. She just nodded her head. "Faith, will you be okay in the car, doing nothing? Don't you want to shoot our enemies?"

Faith laughed lightly in disbelief. "Eltan, what are you saying? You know, I don't like violence, and I definitely don't know how to shoot."

"Yes, but are you sure?" I looked into her eyes, searching for the fire of Mutiny in them, but they were as innocent as that of a child.

"Yes. I'm sure." She gave a firm nod. "I don't get why you brought me here knowing I can't even protect myself, let alone fight by your side, but you told me you will tell me later, so I'm not going to ask about that right now. I trust you, so I'm going to wait here. Best of luck."

Mutiny really wasn't going to come out? Was she chickening out at the crucial moment? I could not believe her!

Well, whatever. It was her loss. I was going to go get my revenge either way.

I brought out a gun from the glove box and handed it to Faith. "I know you are afraid of violence, but keep it with you, just in case." I put a small tracker inside her shirt pocket so that I could see her location all the time. "Stay down, okay? Don't raise your head."

She nodded.

I was about to get out of the car, but I glanced back at her and fear gripped my heart. I hoped with every fiber of my being that she would be okay. The car should be a safe place, considering it had bulletproof windshields and was almost impossible to unlock from the outside without the keys.

But what if I died and never saw her again—

"Be safe," Faith said with a smile that removed all my worries.

I kissed her forehead and whispered, "You too."

Even if I died out there, I would have no regrets. After all, I got the chance to spend my last day with a wonderful woman like her.