Chapter 11: Fever Panic

Eltan Storm

It had been a week since Faith's birthday, and things between us were better than ever. It truly felt like she has given me a place in her life, and I never wanted to lose that.

However, the fact that I let my parents' murderers get away kept nagging me. The men I sent to Arizona instead of me couldn't get them. If it was me, I could have caught them and finally brought peace to my parents. The guilt of that ate away at me. I didn't know what I was doing. Getting revenge had been my purpose for the last two years.

But now... I was totally off-tracked.

Faith was consuming my every thought. It wasn't good for me. A part of me wanted to stay away from her, but a bigger part of me wanted to stay close to her. That's why once again, without fail, I was present at Berserkers at night to meet Faith.

I was sitting at the bar counter waiting for Faith, but she was nowhere in sight. When I ran out of patience after ten minutes, I texted her, asking where she was.

Just a minute later, she came out of the staff room. She tried to smile at me, but even under the dimmed lights, I could see that she looked extremely pale, almost borderline anemic.

Faith came and leaned forward on the counter, greeting me, "Hi, Eltan."

"Faith, are you okay?" I asked her in concern.

"Yes, of course. Why wouldn't I be?" Saying so, she nodded her head confidently, but that ended up causing a painful expression on her face.

"You clearly don't seem okay," I stated.

"No, Eltan. I'm fine. This is nothing. I feel sick like this all the time," she shrugged.

"You do know that it doesn't make your health sound any better, right?" As she tried to maintain a normal expression, I added, "Hey, just get some rest, okay?"

"No, I'm fine—"

"No, you're not. If you intend to work like this, you might put glass cleaner into someone's drink."

"That would be the height of stupidity. I wouldn't do that."

"Yes, you will. There is a glass cleaner just under the counter." She tried to protest more, but I added, "Unless you take some rest and we could—" Her eyes started to droop. "Shit, shit." I stood up from my stool and rushed behind the counter to catch her before she lost her balance.

"I'm fine..." she mumbled as she fainted in my arms.

I could feel the warmth radiating off her, indicating that she not only looked anemic but also seemed to be having a high fever. "Yep, you are totally fine."

Sighing, I picked her up in my arms and made my way to the cabin that technically belonged to me but I had never stepped my foot in there before.

I got into my cabin, which was unexpectedly neat and clean, and put Faith on the couch. With how high her fever was running, she should be taken to the hospital as soon as possible. But Faith hadn't renewed her medical insurance, and I wasn't sure if she would like it if I paid for her. So I called my family doctor, Dr. Parkins.

After that, I ordered a staff member to get a warm blanket for Faith. I turned up the heat of the cabin when I noticed her shivering.

I had always been taken care of by someone else when I was sick. Now that I was on the other side of taking care, I didn't know what else to keep doing until Dr. Parkins arrived.