Chapter 15: Road Racing

Eltan Storm

"Hey, Dr. Parkins, I thought you were dead," I greeted my family doctor sarcastically over the phone.

"Sorry for ghosting you with Ms. Mabel's reports, Eltan. Some family emergency came up, so I was unable to check her reports and brief you on them," he replied.

"It's okay. She seems better now. I have been making sure she's eating healthy."

"That's great. But um..." he paused ominously. "By the way, I checked the reports just now. Do you think you can drop by my chamber?"

My heart dropped. "Why? Is there something wrong with her reports?"

"It's not life-threatening. Just some issues. Why don't you pay me a visit whenever you can and we can talk it over?"

"Since you are so chill about it, I guess it is not life-threatening," I said to myself. "Anyway, I think I can visit you tomorrow afternoon."

"Sounds perfect. See you tomorrow then. Goodnight, Eltan."

"Goodnight, Dr. Parkins."

After hanging up the call, I stared at my dark phone screen and wondered about what Faith could have been diagnosed with. Maybe some bacterial infection? Whatever it was, I hoped it was something minor.

Sighing, I put my phone back in my pocket and looked up at the Berserkers building.

Tonight was the night for the street bike race where I would capture Turqo.

Before that, I wanted to meet Faith and get my good luck charm from her.

I happily entered the casino and made my way to the counter. Not seeing Faith anywhere around, I asked Candy, "Where's Faith?"

"She didn't come in today."

"What? Is she okay?" I asked in concern.

"She sounded fine. She just said she had some business to attend to."

"What sort of business?"

Candy shrugged and said, "Beats me."

I huffed and stormed out of the casino while dialing Faith's number, but it kept coming busy.

"Capo, we have to leave for the mission," Denver reminded me when I got into the car.

"But I can't contact Faith. She didn't come to work today."

"Please not again," he groaned. "C'mon, Capo, be rational. She has her own life. She could be out shopping or just spending a me day. I don't think you need to worry that much."

I anxiously looked at her contact number and sighed. Denver was right. I had to be calm and rational.

"Fine. Drive to the location."

###

Wow, it was packed around here. I thought it was going to be a small event, not anything to this scale, and to think it was all illegal... maybe our gang could start something like this.

I saw a poster with writing that read, 'Monthly Road Racing.'

"Who do you think will win this time?" someone beside me spoke up.

I internally thanked my black leather jacket that helped me blend in with the crowd and replied, "Sorry, I'm new here. Who's the toughest competitor?"

"Of course, it's Mutiny."