Chapter 29: Nightmare And Comfort

Eltan Storm

I almost drifted to sleep when I felt the bed dip beside me.

I grabbed my gun from under my pillow and instantly sat up, pointing at the intruder.

"My love, it's me," came a familiar annoying voice.

I let out a sigh of relief and lowered my gun before turning on the bedside lamp and bursting out, "What the hell are you doing in my room?" I was pretty sure I locked my room in fear of her– my eyes fell on the open window. Of course, she must have climbed in through that.

"I wanted to sleep with you," Mutiny said innocently, sitting on her knees, dressed up in very scandalous clothes. I avoided looking below her face at all costs.

"Didn't you get the master bedroom? Go sleep there!"

"What's the point of having the best room in the world if I don't have you there?"

"Then just don't sleep!"

"Aww, you're not cute at all," she laughed a little and tried to pull my cheek, but I backed away before she could do it.

"Get down from my bed," I warned, aiming my gun at her again.

She smirked and got even closer, letting the muzzle rest on her forehead. "I'm not afraid, Eltan. Shoot me if you want. I will rest in peace knowing the one I love killed me."

I gritted my teeth, feeling my heart react to her words again. What was happening to me? Why was she impacting me?

"You can sleep on the right side if you want," I conceded, knowing she already made up her mind and I couldn't change it at any cost. "But don't you dare come snuggling up to me."

She pouted. "I want to, though."

"Don't insist too much, or else, I will kick you out of the window you climbed in through." I glared at her and laid back on the bed after putting my gun under the pillow. "Sleep now."

Even after I turned off the lamp, I could feel her gaze on me, staring at me like a creep. I didn't pay mind to that and buried my face in the pillow, apologizing to Faith over and over again.

I'm sorry, Faith, but right now, I'm just too tired to deal with Mutiny at the moment.

###

"Mom and Dad are going to love this family portrait I made for them!" I smiled happily as I chatted with Lance on speaker while driving.

"I'm sure they will be just happy to see you. They miss the apple of their eyes every day," Lance replied in his usual monotone voice. I had recently shifted to Nevada to handle Lance's casino and duties, but I came back as a surprise for Mom and Dad's anniversary.

"They miss you guys, too. But y'all are such busybodies," I rebuked, then got a little sad. "I wish you guys could be here, though."

"Same," he said. "Anyway, I gotta go now. Ember was blabbering about cooking earlier and now I'm hearing crashing sounds from the kitchen."

"I just hope Crazy Sis is alive," I chuckled as he hung up the call in a rush.

I reached my parents' mansion, but the guards didn't open the gate for me. I pressed the horn, but no one came forward.

"Strange," I muttered.

I got out of the car to push open the gates myself. But as I did, I noticed a pool of blood coming out from the watchman's booth.

My eyes widened in fear.

I instantly pulled out my gun and ran toward the mansion. On the way, I saw the dead bodies of our guards.

My heart thumped louder. I was scared. I wasn't yet used to all this bloodshed yet.

I gave a call to Denver instantly and asked him to come here with reinforcements immediately.

As I entered the mansion cautiously, I called out, "Mom? Dad?"

I crossed the pile of dead bodies of the maids, my heart clenching since they had been with me while I was growing up here.

Please, please, Mom and Dad, be safe.

I wished for that desperately while my hands were shaking. Somewhere in my chest I already knew what awaited me, yet nothing could have prepared me for it.

I knew Dad planned to arrange a date for Mom in the swimming pool area, so that was the first place I checked.

My heart almost paused when I saw the bodies of my parents lying in a pool of blood near the swimming pool area.

"Mom! Dad!" I shouted, sitting up, tears running down my face and cold sweat all over my body.

"Eltan, what's wrong?" I found Faith beside me on the bed, and without another thought, I pulled her into a tight hug.

Without saying a word, I just silently cried.

It had been so long since I had that dream. Ever since I met Faith, this nightmare stopped repeating itself, and I was glad for it. I wondered why now of all times.

But... maybe the stress of tomorrow was what caused me to have that nightmare.

Faith didn't ask me anything as she gently carded her fingers through my hair, murmuring, "It's okay. I'm here with you."

"Don't ever leave me, please," I requested.

"I will never leave you, my love. I'm going to stick with you through everything," she said.

"Thank you, Faith. Thank you for being here."

She kissed the top of my head and whispered, "I'm fine being Faith for you."

In my hazy mind, her words didn't register. More like, I just couldn't think.

After staying in her comforting arms for I don't know how long, she asked, "Did you have a nightmare?" I nodded. "What was it about?"

"It was a painful memory from two years ago."

"That's when your parents died, right?"

"Yeah, it was a dream on the day of it."

"I see." She stayed quiet for a while before saying, "I also have dreams about my parents."

"You do?"

"It's pathetic, don't you think? Having nightmares about something that happened years ago. When will we get over it?" She let out a wistful sigh.

"I don't think we ever will," I mumbled honestly. "The pain of losing someone, I don't think it ever just goes away completely."

"I think so, too. But do you think having our revenge will sate our souls even a little bit?"

"I at least hope so."

She hummed, then glanced at the clock which indicated it was half past four in the morning. "Do you want to go back to sleep?"

"I won't be able to sleep anymore."

"That's fine. How about we just talk till the sun rises? Let's relive our childhood, shall we?" she suggested, and the idea didn't sound so bad.

"Thank you for being here, Faith."

I had never cried in front of anyone else until now. Thanks to me for always sleeping alone, even if I woke up crying, it was just me there. I had no one to comfort me. No one would run a hand through my hair and say that it would be okay. That was, until now.

Now, I have Faith for that.

In the dark, I could hear the smile in her voice as she said, "Of course, Eltan. I love you, after all."