Chapter 34: New Conflict

Eltan Storm

Three days passed by since I told Faith the truth.

She was taking it well, surprisingly. She was putting up a smile constantly, and I couldn't tell if it was a hundred percent genuine or not. Surely, she was struggling inside.

But I tried my best to make things easier for her.

Since we were going to be in New York for a week, I took her sightseeing to keep her mind off going into dark places.

Due to my shoulder still not being fully healed, she wouldn't let us stay outside for long. However, only at that time, I could be sure that she was truly smiling from the bottom of her heart. Because it showed on her face how much she liked having fun with me, and nothing made me happier than that.

That being said, Mutiny stopped appearing ever since that night.

I didn't know how I knew it, but I definitely knew that she wasn't totally gone yet.

It was a little strange not seeing her anymore. I got kind of used to her.

We were still staying at the house in the suburbs. I asked Faith if she wanted to move into a hotel uptown, but she said she liked the warmth of this house because it reminded her of her parents' house—the same thing Mutiny said.

From the way both of them shared memories from their childhood, it felt like Mutiny was there with Faith all along—not just an ego formed from the trauma of losing her parents.

But I was no expert to speak on the subject. All I knew was that only therapy could help her. I was looking for the best psychologist with Dr. Parkins' help.

Right now, Faith and I were watching a movie on the TV.

Faith chuckled out of the blue, even though it wasn't a funny scene.

I arched a playful eyebrow. "Why are you laughing?"

"Mutiny was saying something funny," she casually said.

"What?" My eyes widened. "She is talking to you?"

"Inside my head, yeah," she replied. "We are getting along well these days."

I wasn't so sure how to feel about that. Mutiny wasn't bullying her, was she?

She probably saw the thought on my face and giggled. "Don't worry, it's all okay. Mutiny isn't that mean. I'm used to it. I just happened to realize that the negative voice in the back of my head that I always heard was her. So it's like I have known her all along."

"I don't get how it works."

"Me neither."

"By the way, since we are on the topic, can Mutiny come out anytime soon? I was planning to visit Charles and Andrew," I asked a little hesitantly.

She seemed conflicted for a moment before nodding her head and turning her head back to the screen. "Sure. I'll try later, I guess."

I pulled her closer to my chest and reaffirmed, "Hey, I love you. Only you."

I was telling her the truth, then why was there a bitter taste left in my mouth? Almost like I wasn't telling the entire truth.

"I know."

Listening to her quiet words, I felt a jab in my chest.

###

I was sitting on the balcony, just enjoying the light breeze, while Faith was making dinner. I couldn't exactly help her as I was still carrying my arm in a sling.