epilogue pt 2

Keeping track of a seven kids was hard as is. Adding Trevor, Jack, Jamie and Cole into the mix made Hunter feel like she had an entire school of preschoolers. Even as men in their thirties, they still acted like they were fifteen in juniors when they were together.

Hunter had given up on watching her husband, rather, sitting on the deck with Mya, Courtney and Taylor as they watched their kids run around. It was mid summer and they were enjoying the off season at the lake house in Michigan. They had been doing this every year and the tradition never stopped, no matter how badly their schedules clashed.

"Mom! We're going to swim!" Nolan shouted, standing by the door of the fence.

"You know you can't, not unless we're out there!" She shouted back, taking a long and well needed drink of her wine.

"Then come sit out here!" He retorted, toying with the lock as he hoped to run out to the water.

"I'll get in." Courtney shrugged, already off her seat and going down the steps of the porch. "Shit, we need the life jackets." She groaned, realizing she couldn't let the younger kids out without them.

"Mom! Nolan and I are going!" Jaiden shouted, unlocking the fence before his own mother got out there.

The two eleven year olds could swim, they weren't worried, it was the younger kids that they knew would follow. Courtney let out a groan, walking off into the yard as the group of eight and younger chased them towards the water.

"Where the hell are the guys?" Hunter muttered, wandering inside to find the life jackets. "Trevor!" She shouted, using the tone she knew he would come running to.

As predicted, her husband came up from the basement with a beer in his hand and a smile on his face. His smile went to fear as his wife glared at him. Then, two more were coming up the stairs, both laughing at the man getting scolded.

"Uh, uh, don't you be laughing, Cole, your son is out there not listening and fuck— someone please go look for the damn life jackets." Hunter waved the three off, reaching into the fridge for four more drinks to take outside. "And bring your asses outside!" She called as she walked out the door.

"Need help?" Taylor asked, offering a hand as Hunter struggled to carry all of the drinks.

"Thank you." Hunter sighed out, "y'know, you're like wonder woman, how do you put up with Jack?"

"I could ask the same about you and Trevor." Taylor joked, leading the way down to the open gate where Mya and Courtney were sat.

"Maddie, stay where you can touch, alright?" Hunter sat beside Mya, handing over one of the two drinks in her hand.

"I know!" The woman had to stop herself from rolling her eyes at the attitude of her child.

"Eight going on eighteen." Mya mumbled, shaking her head with a laugh.

"That child is a pain in my—"

"Mommy!" Jude cried out, running over to his mother and climbing into her lap.

"What's up, buddy?" Hunter set her drink into the cup holder, holding the four year old in her arms. She pushed back his hair, blonde and curly, just like Trevor's. All three of their kids were mini Trevor's, making her wonder if any of her genetics were passed to them.

"Can-can I get a juice?" He asked, face red from days in the sun, freckles shadowing the bridge of his nose.

"Yeah, go tell daddy to bring out some for everyone else, okay?" He nodded quick, jumping down from her lap and racing up towards the house.