Book 4 | Ch. 6 - A Broken Heart

A few hours go on with the sun leaning closer to the ocean layer, the moon rising out from the water glowing thanks to the luminescent light from the dark blue coming from the water. Mostly everyone was uncomfortable partly due to riding the beast who killed innocent people, the only person seemingly unaffected was Hunter staring out toward the skies pondering something.

After some time of reflecting I knew I had gone too far with what I said before. I wasn't wrong although, Royal was also correct albeit more heartless than usual. He cares more about who he knows more than those that attempt to get close to him. He's always had issues talking with others and I don't find fault in that because of what he had endured back when we were children.

"Royal."

I called out for him wanting to make things straight between us.

"Hm? Something wrong, Cloudy?"

"I-.. I just wanted to say I apologize for exploding at you earlier. it wasn't right of me especially when I know everyone here is feeling the same as I was."

"I was just being selfish and pushed my negativity towards others."

I spoke the truth hiding my face from him as the rest looked at me.

Royal let out a small smile tilting his head slightly to the side.

"You were closer to them than I was. Of course it would be normal to express these emotions. At the time though.. I knew that doing so wouldn't have been acceptable."

Acceptable? What does he mean by that? Is there something I'm not getting that he knows?

"What do you mean?"

I wondered whether I needed to get to the bottom of this.

"When we are older and a friend dies on the battlefield.. Are you going to kneel there mourning while others die? Will you allow yourself to be open for an attack and die the same way others have, in vain?"

He was looking out for me knowing that the chimera was right there and didn't want there to be a chance for the chimera to lie and use me as a weakness. Then why did Hunter look at me like that?

"I vowed to grow stronger not just physically but mentally. By learning new and complex things I wish to evolve into something that can even rival that god Hunter despises."

Royal started making bold claims impressing Hunter.

Nick interrupted changing the mood making it clear he was already stronger than the two.

"Right now I'm the closest to Hunter's level so if you want to rival gods then you'd have to try and surpass me if you can even do that."

He announced with pride and arrogance.

"You have that blessing inside you, without it you'd be on the same level as a baby wolf."

I was irritated by his arrogant voice and countered with my own.

"Fuck you, I challenge you to a duel then!"

"Fine! Come at me then!"

With both ready to brawl it out Hunter began to sweat brainstorming for a way to get them to stop fighting one another right until he redirected himself at Royal. An immediate chill rushes down his spine as he spun the other direction facing his back at the boys not wanting to get involved in what comes next. Nick and Cloudy stood doing their best to stand straight but kept getting knocked off balance by the wind moving around thanks to the chimera. Royal had enough of their crap springing up almost unbothered by the fast pacing wind rushing around.