Book 1 | Ch. 7 - Trials Of The Forest

Down the tense halls and corridors just before the throne room Hunter heard a name that he had been accustomed to for years. The name that didn't just casually go right in one ear and out the other. He took it to heart and believed it was his good old friend from the fact alone he was fighting evenly with him. There weren't many people in the world nor beasts that you could count on the fingers of ones hands to know facing Hunter would mean an early grave. With eyes that could stop a heart from beating he glared at his friend in disbelief questioning why in the world he would attack him and for what reason.

"We are friends?! I-I don't understand why you'd do such a thing. What happened to you?"

Gatekeeper only had a cold look on him knowing Hunter's nature fully well.

"It's simple. You who entered my territory in search of something that will in turn be in vain. Nonetheless I cannot stop you.. no~ that is not correct. I cannot defeat you. My domain that you reside in reduces all your power by 1/8th of what you originally are outside my territory. That may buy me time but I know once you set a goal nothing will stop you in your pursuit."

"Instead I will judge you to see if you are deemed fit, if you are mentally prepared for what is to come. A trial will be given to you."

Hunter questioned what the trail would be about but was ignored of his answer as Gatekeeper did what he wanted. He spoke how he wanted and did what he chose to do.

"Although I respect you immensely ol' friend there is a limit to your persistence when asking unnecessary questions."

His eyes glowed ruby red similar to Hunter's beforehand as he began to threaten him now grabbing his attention entirely.

"You're trial will involve you and your students and the due date to complete my trails will be five months without fail. If they are not qualified to continue past my forest than I will personally kill them myself."

He had no other choice to accept knowing that the boys were not in any condition to leave anyway and agreed to what he was saying. Hunter made a backup plan wanting him to promise that he wouldn't harm the boys in anyway. Gatekeeper chuckled revealing that he will only do it because of 𝓱𝓮𝓻 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱.

Upon hearing his mouth utter those words he blurted out worried with a hint of anger boiling up from inside wanting to know what he meant by her wish.

"If you know something tell me!"

Gatekeeper's face turned sour with a hint of disgust looking right at him.

"You have to earn the right to know that then!"

He suddenly kicked Hunter away and used the pressure he had around him to send him outside the throne and flying past the hallways and staircases he went up on. Moments later he was sent into the concrete outside the second gate obliterating the ground below him as Royal and Cloudy were captured of all their attention running over to Hunter in a hurry. They inspected his body seeing his hand had been cut off while he had other serious injuries to worry about included. It was a mystery as to who or what kind of monster was capable of doing such a thing to him.

"W-whatever did this to him is not normal."

Cloudy claimed paying close attention to his surroundings.

Royal replied to his stutter with his own starting to feel the pressure rise around them.

"You're r-right w-we need to help Hunter heal his wounds with what we got in our bags."

In a hurry they reach for Hunter to treat him but soon realized he passed out either from the collision or possibly the adrenaline running around his body. They look at one another with a grim expression knowing whatever was coming from the gate rivaled Hunter seeing how he was beaten. Taking a defensive position they planted themselves in front of the gate ready for what may enter the portal ready to protect Hunter with their lives. The air was cold reeking of blood from Hunter and inside the void like gate. The malice from inside the gate became much stronger than before with each passing minute that felt like days. Until the pressure was pulled back as if it was strung up on a leash and thrown back. What appeared instead was Gatekeeper himself prying his own gate open as if it was also resisting his exit. The two were on edge getting only just a sliver of what Hunter had to go through while fighting. Their breathing became erratic just standing there watching the knight, pupils dilated and hands shaking profusely. It was a bodily instinct and they had no way to stop it. To combat that they closed their eyes and lunged at the knight ready to swing their blades blindly all to protect their savior. The first words that were spoke from him were only a warning to them.