Book 4 | Ch. 13 - Research Takes Time

Late Morning arrived with the first to wake up is Royal. He moved himself along the hallway and into the bathroom to clean up before dropping down the stairs and grabbing some water. Afterward he immediately rushed back upstairs and into his room holding himself there to do research on the samples he had acquired with the notes as a helpful reminder. Second and third to wake up was Nick and Cloudy being last no thanks to staying up longer than the other two. They had similar routines as Royal with the only difference being that they marched outside to get more firewood and food to have for the afternoon normally not having breakfast since they would travel early.

"Hey stack the logs up here with me Nick."

He said pointing at the side of the cabin.

"Maan~ alright- alright I heard you the first time. Stop being so bossy."

He argued back acting like a kid but helped anyway in the end.

"Now that that's done, why not grab us some grub for later?"

Nick announced, wiping some sweat away from his forehead.

"Royal is holed up inside his room doing god knows what. So~ what do you think?"

"Hmm~.. How about a chill fox?"

"Not really, I'd feel bad eating one~."

Cloudy explained with unease.

Chill Fox: A relatively harmless animal more than able to survive the harshest of conditions during the winter. They are surprisingly very intelligent and know when to flee if a predator is looming no matter how stealthily the predator may be. Rumors say that the chill foxes are able to read human minds which is supposedly why they know where its predators are.

"Nonsense, they'll taste good and you will forget all~ about that guilt from eating it so let's go!"

"Uggh~.. fine."

Cloudy reluctantly went with him to fetch some lunch.

While on the go a conversation kicked up involving Hunter.

"Where do you think Hunter is? He should've made it here before us judging how fast he was moving. You think he got lost?"

Cloudy commented thinking out all the options.

"No way he got lost. I'm betting you he just went and did some tasks or maybe is even getting us gifts."

Nick argued putting Hunter on a podium as someone who rarely makes mistakes.

"But still-."

"Come on Cloudy, he's fine and you know it! Don't be such a nervous wreck about it, it's Hunter we're talking about. He'll be back stronger and stranger than ever."

Nick added, interrupting him reassuring Cloudy's doubts.

"AHA-! I found our lunch!"

Nick whispered crouching down behind some snowy bushes.

"Oh boy.. let's see how long this takes us."

Cloudy unenthusiastically remarked.

Back with Royal he sat on his desk filled with research papers and samples he acquired over the year he was away testing them all. Specifically showing interest in the black flames as it was the most abnormal out of everything he'd seen in addition to the crystals that were scavenged in the void. Hours on end he read through papers, experimenting on results that mostly went nowhere.

"Fusing portions of the black flames into the crystals led to no small or severe reaction. Crossing out that combination. Hmm~. Take note black flames don't dissipate even when split or removed of fragments."