Book 3 | Ch. 1 - 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐕𝐨𝐢𝐝 [𝐈]

We could all see it, mesmerizing to the very last detail. It was similar to a mirror but instead of reflecting the opposite side it was pitch black, dull, nothingness. Cloudy scouted up ahead flying around and over it to be sure nothing was awaiting for an ambush. It was an an entire acre of flat land with the area having a distinct pattern as if something paved the place.  It was quite the sight to behold. Beautiful yet so pitiful. When he returned from his search he noted specifically on the stench that wafted nearby and that oozed out from the portal to the other dimension. It was nothing an ordinary human could create. Not a moment later he began to hurl his insides just from the aftertaste of it. Hunter twitched with his eyebrows raised as he too could smell the scent of rotting and mysteriousness lurking from within. He whipped his arm up to his mouth pressing on it to prevent the stench to enter understanding why Cloudy had such a strong reaction. Nick and Royal reacted quickly trusting the two's sudden actions with Nick putting an extra piece of cloth over his face, Royal only placing his hand on himself. Their noses got a whiff of filth emanating from the pond-like gate after attempting to gag away the air flowing down their throats. After clearing their throats of any muck inside their mouths they followed Hunter down the crater where there lied a small dip with the portal now within a few meters away of them at most.

"Listen here boys.. From here on out each step taken inside that dimension potentially could lead to your doom. Never disobey my orders unless you are one hundred percent certain it guarantees your safety and your life."

"We are almost there my love~."

Hunter muttered before peering at the void with no reflection to mirror back.

Cloudy looked back opening his eyes widely before alerting the others that they were surrounded by beasts with no escape in sight. Nick took an aggressive pose ready to dip his weapon into fresh blood with Royal and Hunter spotting the beasts behavior to be abnormal.

"They are not advancing toward us."

Hunter announced.

"If they wanted too they could encase us and close in to prevent us from having space. It's as if they are afraid seeing how frantic their movements are."

With that comment we all turned back at the lake understanding everything. They were afraid of not the portal itself but what lied inside. For it to cause fear alone by being so far away must mean something has crawled out of the space before. The monsters stood at the top of the crater surrounding them from all sides in a panicked state unable to catch the group. Despite the fear in their bodies, their mouths drooled and salivated for the taste of human flesh on par with the freight in their hearts. But couldn't advance knowing something the adventurer's did not.

"There's something else that's strange.."

Royal whispered.

"What is that?"

Cloudy responded.

"They aren't attacking each other. Normally from what we've seen they try to kill on sight if possible but here.. is the opposite. It's as if they don't care about those besides them and banded together."

"To me it looks more like they have come to watch us die. Maybe this isn't the first time this kind of thing has happened and are here for the show."

Nick shouted with the rest agreeing surprisingly with what he was talking about.

"Nick.."

Royal and Cloudy spoke in unison.

"Hm? What?"

"For someone who doesn't even have five brain cells working at a time you are fairly imaginative."

Cloudy replied with a clear tone of pity with each word from his mouth.