Book 2 | Ch. 14 - The Hollowed Lands [Outer IV]

Within a moments notice after he got what he needed to reach Royal he turned away from the elderly couple and explained to the other two to be on the move in less than five minutes. By the time Hunter realized that he forgot to thank the two elders they weren't there any longer. It was strange to say the least remembering how slow they moved previously. When following the route he was told about on short notice he in the end did find them down nearby the pond smiling at him. Creepy was what he originally thought until he took it back understanding how lonely it must've been for the two to be in such a place. No escape off the island with how frail they were and what they must've sacrificed to make it that far. By the time they reached the turning point he could no longer see them in his sightline.

"What do you think?"

Said the frail little lady.

The old man didn't say a word but shifted his head at her.

"You may be free from this place now. It must've been so tough to hold on for so long. Go on~."

The man shed a single tear before walking away from her before disappearing into the warped trees far out.

"Thank you my love~. No.. You weren't her to begin with... Thank you for letting me see her face again."

The gentle man muttered before ending his last words with that.

The frail woman from before stood before the pond as it reflected light from the iridescent, tangerine skies above with the stars beyond that revealing itself. A minute later her face warped into a face now recognizable. She looked at the sky with a sad expression but one that conveyed to the world she was happy despite everything that happened. The breeze picked up sending her hair flowing with it as tears streamed down her cheeks.

She apologized to whoever she meant it for before vanishing in thin air with a small twinkle of sparkles leaving behind no trace or evidence of her existence.

"Mari! That was her name!"

Hunter exclaimed out of nowhere shocking both Cloudy and Nick.

"Gah-! The hell?"

Nick commented to his sudden tone.

"Ah-... My bad boys. I just came to a realization is all."

"Yea we could see that by the look on your face. Mind sharing?"

Cloudy asked joining in on the sudden conversation.

After explaining what he knew they came up with their theories on how and why she was there.

"Firstly-.. From what Royal told us was that she was just an odd and sweet elderly lady. There wasn't anything more too her than that."

"Is she possibly a ghost? Do those even exist?"

"Of course not you dimwit. If so it would be obvious by now. There must be so many corpses here with the lives of many residing here. And so far not one has supposedly become a ghost."

Nick added.

"There is a chance she may be following us. If that's true we will see with us again."

Hunter said before moving his legs faster than before up the pathway.

It had taken a while to reach the middle section but they made it eventually. The path leading up to the falls had seemed endless to Hunter. Once they arrived halfway up the air was cool and refreshing yet thin and constrictive compared to down below. The sun had begun to set causing the orange rays to be visible over the horizon and reflecting off the water below yet there was still no moon in sight. The sky was still bright enough to be seen without much trouble. The wind was blowing harder than previously and the sound of the waterfall was echoing louder. They were able to hear the roaring of the earth from a battle in action as well as the faint noise of the cascading water. They were at a safe distance from the waterfall still aiming their sights up.