Book 4 | Ch. 3 - The Domino Effect

The door creaked open with two shadows hovering over what little light was inside the room. Dust particles flew all around, wooden floorboards rocked and creaked from Hunter's footsteps and the waves outside. Nick could feel there was something or someone inside hearing faint mumbled from the far side of the room. He raised his hand up with the tiny flame floating farther inside the room brightening parts of it.

"I hear whimpers."

Nick whispered.

Hunter simply nodded his head.

There were corpses lying around the room but this time Hunter didn't hold my hand along the way, cover my eyes from it nor comfort me. This was his way of explaining to me that eventually I would have to part ways with him and endure this cruel world on my own. I couldn't bare the sight of those that were horribly murdered. It was gruesome even for myself. Their hearts were gouged out, bones sticking out, parts of their face gorged upon. I saw no signs of Winn and Sami, neither Zack as well. I really started to think they may have escaped possibly by jumping into the water but where would they go? Everything I thought up was shut down by other counter thoughts... Did they really die~? My train of thought was slowly interrupted by frequent cries and whimpers coming from my right. Suddenly I snapped out of it to see Hunter facing where the cries originated.

"W-what's going-."

I paused, getting a glimpse of Zackrel down on the floor uninjured but mentally unwell, he was a complete mess. The poor guy was balled up, quivering with stained tears on his cheeks and eyes filled with fear. It was sad to see, but answers were needed and Hunter went for it. He kneeled down with me on his back now getting a better look at his emotionally torn up face. At first Zack didn't even realize we were in front of him as he hid his face out of freight thinking we were what raided them.

"Zack, look at me, it's Hunter."

He spoke with a stern tone drawing the captain's attention.

Before even registering it was as if the moment Zack came to understand that Hunter wasn't the threat he completely gave in and begged by his knees.

"P-please~! S-save me-, save us please~! WWAAH!"

He cried out horrified.

I was tempted to speak up but Hunter would've disapproved on how I would've handled things so I left it to him.

"Zack, everything is going to be ok. I need you to understand this so I can help you. If not, there's nothing I can do."

"Mhmhm~... Mhpm."

He muffled himself before nodding cooperating with him.

"Now take a deep breath in and out, tell me how long have you been like this for and who has done this to you all?"

Hunter asked patiently.

We both waited until Zack could speak properly, after what he had been through it must've been too much for his old body to handle and broke down. What makes me wonder is the fact how he's the only person on this ship so far that's alive. What's really going on?

"Outside~... It came down like a hawk and struck like a tiger with quick precise movements. It was massive in size, a bird-, yes a bird it had to be! *Cough*. It must be outside as we speak! Please! Kill that bastard and avenge my ol' family~!"

"How long ago did this happen?"

Hunter continued questioning for more information allowing Zack the time he needed to organize his thoughts.

"Since you left five days ago.. it only had been an hour since it attacked."

Five days ago?! We were inside the hollowed lands for more than a week? Does time act differently inside that place compared to the outside world? Well-.. that does explain all the phenomena we've experienced while moving around there. No wonder they didn't leave, though now begs the question what attacked them? He said a bird but that's not enough information to go off of. Maybe Hunter knows thi-.