Book 3 | Ch. 3 - 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐕𝐨𝐢𝐝 [𝐈𝐈𝐈]

Just from Hunter's comment before, we both knew what we were now up against. Two fledglings new to the world with a few months of training at best against a hybrid that stands a few podiums beneath a dragon. It's mane was a bright mandarin with hints of purple at the edges. Its face was that of a lion with its feet morphed similar to an eagles claws but only thicker. Its size was nothing to scoff at either, at least over ten feet tall from what we could tell from the distance we were at. The chimera had sharp fangs poking out of its mouth with its tongue stretching far enough to wrap around a human body. Same with its tail, lengthwise it was almost just as long as the hybrid itself with a strange hue of purple and grey mixed onto it. It moved clockwise to our position always alarmed and guarded but never focused on one target. It was experienced in battle and the two boys could see that just as well.

Nick sat himself down with his legs crossed between and his arms pushed against his chest also crossing them together with an annoyed stare. Hunter stayed standing never losing sight of the enemy. They watched Royal and Cloudy stare vise versa at one another with sweat dripping down their heads.

"Don't chicken out now Cloudy. Turning our backs is the worse thing to do right now."

"I-I won't. Don't look away from the chimera."

Abruptly the chimera cracked the surface and flew upward wasting no time, the two quickly lose sight of the hybrid in the blinding abyss. Surprised by the sudden flee in battle they chose to not let their guards down surrounding and refining their aura around their bodies incase of an ambush. With not much sound going around Royal distinctly could hear the sound of wings flapping and air rushing by, his vision shoots right over to Hunter and Nick standing on a floating rock not too far behind alerting them of what they don't know.

"It's aiming for you two! Watch out behind you!"

Nick shoots his head backwards seeing the chimera swiftly approaching faster than he could react. Hunter still kept his attention over at Royal and Cloudy as if to show he didn't care about the beast. The chimera only seconds away from cleaving them to pieces with its razor claws froze in place by unknown means.

"It stopped?"

Cloudy said to Royal confused.

They watched as the chimera backpaddled and flew away from the two as if it knew it were going to die if it moved any closer. Nick rolled his eyes over to Hunter with his eyes glowing red still keeping his attention on the boys as the hybrid zoomed its way toward Royal and Cloudy.

"Here it comes!"

Cloudy shouted reinforcing his aura more than before.

It crashed in between the two swinging its talons viciously and ferociously attempting to kill them both in a single slash. Cloudy being nimble was the main thing saving him from being sliced in half while Royal parried the slashes away with the help of his rapier. The chimera is fast, agile and has extremely lethal attacks. Using what they could they paired close together tanking the stronger attacks the hybrid brought out while separating when the beast used faster strikes.

One mistake was only needed on the chimera's part and so it happened. It whipped its tongue out cracking the ground where the boys stood missing them. Royal leapt up in the air diving into the fray on the hybrid piercing the eye of the monster of the abyss. He sharpened his blade each time trying to dig deeper into the beast letting out a roar of encouragement to himself to keep going. Cloudy rushed in to support thrusting his spear into its side making it wail out in pain. As stated earlier though.. One mistake was only needed. This time it was on the receding end, the beast pushed forward ignoring the pain it was feeling, never faltering. Surprised by the unexpected resistance Royal retreated back pulling his blade out and preparing for defense by reinforcing his energy. The chimera let out a growl before hitting Cloudy with its body making him fall over. The creature's talons began to have a purple sheen over its claws, rushing at Royal in an attempt to finish him off it leapt at him with drool spewing from its mouth in order to chomp his head off.