unnatural disasters

"Morning (y/n).", Darren greets me as I stroll into the kitchen. He's leaning against the counter with a mug of something in his hand. Smells like coffee.

"Morning.", I yawn, sitting down in a chair at the dining table.

"Are you sure you wanna help on the farm? You really don't have to. I think Sinead's going to get her nails done for our date night, you could go with her.", he looks at me with a confused expression.

"No, I wanna see the farm. It'll give me something to do.", I shrug.

"There's a lot of shit. Like pig shit. Horse shit. Chicken shit."

"Its fine. I've got boots with me.", I try not to shudder at the thought of standing in something unpleasant.

"Okay.", he smiles. "I need to be there by 11, so I'm gonna go get ready."

He leaves the room, leaving me and my thoughts alone at the table. Today is Saturday of course, its 10:17am to be precise. Last night, after an enjoyable dinner with Sinead and Darren, I had a not so enjoyable nightmare.

I was back in my bedroom on what seemed like a normal evening, the TV was on and I seemed to be at peace, until I heard a hissing sound. It got louder and louder, and then all at once, hundreds of snaked came slithering towards me, sneaking out of every nook and cranny of my bedroom. Snakes of all different sizes and colours. I screamed the house down (in my dream), and only woke up when one bit me. That was at 5am.

I googled the meaning of dreaming about snakes, and I found out that it could mean many things. From fear and hidden threats, to healing and transformation. So I didn't really gain any clarity from my search.

Then I went back to sleep, and I dreamt about Rintarou. I can't remember what, I can just picture the hospital room, the door open, and him laying in the bed. The door was definitely open. Its a weird detail, but I strongly remember it for some reason.

Sighing, I get to my feet and drag myself in the direction of the room I'm staying in, wanting to get ready as effortlessly as I can.

-

Darren's truck slows to a stop infront of the farm. Its still rainy and dreary, so I can't see a lot through the windscreen which is covered with raindrops.

Stepping out of the truck, the first thing that hits me is the smell. I physically wince at the odour of the farm, which makes Darren laugh.

"Never smelt anything like it?", he teases and walks over to my side of the truck. I hear the sloppy sound of his footsteps through the mud as he does so.

"Definitely not.", I mutter, involuntarily not breathing through my nose.

"Come on, I'll show you around."

He unlocks a rusted, metal gate and swings it open. Both of us step inside and he closes it behind us.

Where we're currently standing is mostly sludge. I don't know if its always like this, or if the rain has exacerbated the poor state of the terrain, but it looks like the biggest slip hazard I've ever seen.

I can even feel myself sinking slightly as I look down at my old hiking boots. A harsh gust of wind suddenly hits us, and I pull the hood of my black raincoat over my head.

Darren leads me into a small shed. It smells like wet wood and weed killer. He hands me a pair of gardening gloves, informing me that although I'll be working with the pigs, I'll at least have warm and clean hands. He also hands me a metal bucket.

After he grabs his own gloves and bucket, we leave the shed, re-entering the harsh weather, and begin walking again.

"Any update on your boyfriend?", he asks.