Chapter 31: Come a Long Way

A steady beeping sound is the first thing I'm aware of when I wake up. There are scratchy sheets and a hard bed under me, but after two days strapped to a chair, it feels like a cloud. I can feel someone holding my hand, so I give them a squeeze, letting them know I'm waking up. I know it's my twin's hand, I know that grip anywhere. I can feel wrappings over the whole left side of my face, but thankfully my right eye is only partially blocked. I just don't want to open my eye, because once I do, I have to face the reality that what just happened wasn't a nightmare.

"Iri-ne, are you up?" Inasa asks quietly, the sound of him standing from a chair and getting closer to me is enough to make me open my eye. I want to see my brother more than anything right now, so I don't waste a second.

"Ina-nii." I whisper, my throat sore from thirst, but I ignore it as I look at my twin. "Ina-nii!" I cry out, and just the sight of his devastated and worried face breaking into relief at my waking up is enough for the gravity of everything that happened to come crashing down on me. I kept strong when I was with my friends, I stayed as resilient as I could against the villains, but I can't hold back anymore.

Inasa knows exactly what I need right now as he scoops me into a bone crushing hug, his own eyes watering as he sobs into my shoulder, allowing me to gasp and cry without a care in the world into his strong arms.

"I was so scared, Irisa." Inasa whispers brokenly, not releasing me in the slightest. "You got taken from me again. My school locked me down and wouldn't let me leave to save you."

"It was him." I choke out against him, my arms shaking. "It was him again, Ina."

"I know, I'm so sorry, I know." He says consolingly to me, his hand holding the back of my head supportively. "I thought he was dead. I thought he couldn't hurt you anymore. But he did, and I'll kill him for real this time."

"He got away." I say sadly and with fear. "I watched on the screen in the city, he got away with the other League members. He hates me, he might even go for you now, he still hates dad... Dad!" I gasp in realization, remembering the rest of the fight scene I saw. "Is he ok?!"

"He'll be fine, he's here in the hospital, he's only a few doors down." He says reassuringly, finally releasing me from his iron grip and taking his seat again, but not before grabbing my hand once again. "He got beaten pretty bad, but Best Jeanist apparently saved him and the other heroes from the main attack from that villain."

"That's good." I breathe a sigh of relief. "How... how bad is it?" I ask nervously, reaching a tentative hand to my bandaged face. His grimace he tried to hide let me know it wasn't good, but the soft look in his eyes was comforting.

"It'll scar, unfortunately." He admits reluctantly. "I'm so sorry... The doctors said if you had gotten help sooner, it may not have, but it was too late once you were here. Your eye also got some damage from being uncovered around the rubble and stuff, but they cleaned it and wrapped it tight. You'll have to keep it closed for a week though."

"That's not too bad." I say quietly, sad at the situation. "How long have I been out? Has anyone been to see me?"

"You've been out for about seven hours." He says, and I flinch slightly at the time. Miyoshi's deranged ranting about 'seven hours' haunting me for a moment before I shake my head to clear his voice from my mind. "Boys and then more boys came to visit you." He adds grumpily. "At least, that's what Makoto said. The doctors only just allowed you visitors an hour ago, but only family. They've all been in the waiting area, but the doctors let me stay outside your door to wait."

"Can I see them?" I ask hopefully, ignoring his pouting.

"Yeah fine." He rolls his eyes before smiling softly. "I'll even go visit dad and give you privacy. But Makoto is going to watch you like a hawk."