Chapter 5: Quirk Apprehension Test

"A quirk apprehension test?!" The whole class calls out in confusion after our new homeroom teacher announces why we're in gym uniforms and outside right now.

"What about the entrance ceremonies?!" Uraraka asks loudly, waving her arms.

"You're all here to be heroes, there's no time for frivolous niceties." Aizawa answers monotonously with a challenging look in his eyes. "You've all testing basic physicalities like standing long jumps and grip strength in your middle schools before, but none of you have been tested on your quirk strength. This country still doesn't have standardized testing or tracking in quirks, but we'll start now." He throws a ball at the angry boy, who catches it easily. "Bakugo, you scored highest on the entrance exam and tied for first on the hero entrance. How far was your middle school ball toss test?"

"67 meters." Angry boy, Bakugo, answers in a gravelly voice.

"Try this time with your quirk. Anything goes, just don't leave the circle." Aizawa instructs him and Bakugo walks into said circle, stretching his arms. He winds up a pitch, and launches it with a huge explosion.

"DIE!!!!!!!" Bakugo yells as he releases the explosion and launches the ball.

"Such passion." I marvel at his extreme attitude as I watch the ball soar through the sky.

"Uh, I'm not sure 'passion' is the right word." Mashirao says from my side.

"Maybe not." I agree with a head nod. "But you gotta admire screaming a death sentence to a ball like that." I state, still with awe.

"705.2 meters." Aizawa Sensei shows the class the phone screen that monitors the ball Bakugo just launched. "This is a rational metrics that will measure your hero foundation."

"Awesome! This looks like fun!" Ashido cheers out excitedly, several other students, myself included, join the sentiment.

"Fun?" Aizawa chuckles creepily, his long hair covering his face for a moment before glaring daggers at us all. "You think the next three years will be fun? You think becoming a hero will be fun?" He chuckles once again, humorlessly, creepily, sending a shiver of fear down my spine. "Alright then, let's up the stakes on this then. The person who gets the lowest score today, will be instantly expelled." He lifts his head and smiles evilly at us all, and I gulp a bit. He's dead serious right now. "Welcome to the Hero Course."

"Bring it on." I say confidently after a quick shake of my head, then send a smirk to Mashirao. He weakly matches it, so I clap him on his shoulder to give him some more confidence. This is our friendship, he calms me down and I hype him up, it works well for us. "We've got this, Mashi. We didn't work this damn hard to go home on day one."

"You're right, we can do this." Mashirao says, this time with more confidence. The 50 meter dash gets announced as the first test we would do, and that we're competing in pairs. "Well, good luck to whoever goes against you." He smirks confidently at me as we gather around, and I return a grin to him.

Mashirao was up second on the 50 meter dash, he was racing against Uraraka. He won by using his tail to launch himself forward quickly. I went up against a boy named Tokoyami who had a bird's head. Once the timer went off to start, I gathered wind at my feet and elevated before taking off on a running wind sprint at my top speed.

"2.48 seconds." The little robot meter called out my time once I finished my race. I cheered at my score, proud of the timing. It was better than everyone else's so far, and I was one of the last races.

"That was so manly!" Kirishima cheers for me when I return to him.

"Thanks!" I grin at him.

"Oi, extra!" Bakugo comes stomping over to me with a glare. "What the hell is your damn quirk!?"