Chapter 28: Rant moment

"Foods coming!"

Applause and celebratory cheers filled the living room, bringing a shy smile to Kara and Lena's faces. The two women joined the others, placing trays of snacks on the table alongside bottles of wine and whiskey. The spread was diverse, perfect for a casual gathering — dark chocolates, fruit salads, nuts, and various snacks. Before they knew it, the trays were being emptied, prompting Kara and Lena to stifle their laughter as they replenished them.

"Thanks for coming, everyone. I hope we're not imposing," Kara said as she settled onto the white couch beside Lena.

"You slept one day in Lena's penthouse and became polite? I guess I should bring you here earlier." Alex teased the blonde, eliciting laughter from the group. She leaned in towards Kara from across the room, squeezing her sister's hand, "I wouldn't want to be anywhere else." Her whispered words brought a tearful smile to Kara's face. Alex struggled to not follow after meeting it. Kara seemed fine, but Alex knew her little sis well enough to recognize the signs of internal turmoil — Lena's house, polite words, and a sudden friendly meeting. Facing the consequences smelled dreadful, and as much as the Kryptonian was fine, the fear of having made an irreversible mistake surrounded the Super's mind.

"Have you all been watching Kara and Lena's interview?" Winn chimed in, calling the Danvers' attention. "Kara was terrific! What kinda questions were those, anyway? I couldn't handle it in your shoes, so Supergirl began to speak and, OUCH, it hurts my heart." He placed a hand on his chest. His dramatic flair drew chuckles from the group.

"Some crashes just learn with a punch." Alex pinched a chocolate with a mortal smirk and ate it. Winn felt an intense shiver climbing through his spine. Luckily he was sitting on an armchair.

"I can't imagine Kara getting angry." Brainy blurted out. Lena and Alex exchanged knowing glances. Memories of Kara's outbursts at the DEO and the toll it took on her were still fresh in their minds. Kara burning the DEO's walls for Alura Zor-El was not a beautiful scene, and neither was her sharp tongue — such rare moments made Lena believe even the worst villain could fall for Kara's painful crises. "Though your words were great. Maybe not applicable for that situation, but considering the percentages of crisis by oppression, your behavior was incredibly sensate." He continued, leveraging the tension in her shoulders. What did he mean, for Rao's sake?!

"You were great, Kara, don't worry." Lena gripped Kara's hand softly, watching her best friend calm down. Brainy could be very intelligent most of the time plus his innocence was very troublesome, especially when Kara was sensible. However trying to explain something was the same as keeping tied hands, encouraging the CEO only to focus on what mattered: Kara's well-being. "Cat Grant called me earlier. Seems Carter was worried after watching TV, do you wanna contact her?"

Kara denied with her head, "I know you solved that for me." She showed a little smile to Lena, and seeing the same kind gesture went back to herself. Both the CEO and reporter were aware Carter Grant was not the only one who was worried about Kara Danvers, plus his mother as well. If Cat wished to talk to Kara, she could simply have called the Kryptonian's number. Instead, the former CatCo's owner called Lena to let a break to her former assistant. Kara was deeply grateful for that.

Cat Grant continues being the kind and smarter woman that young woman met at CatCo, she reflected.

"That's unfair" Nia whimpered with a pound, "I worked to death to reach her perfect former assistant, but she never was satisfied. How cruel~" The crowd chucked off her drama, except a man.

"I'm surprised you don't kill yourselves for working with that woman." J'onn grumbled, cursing the moment he was in Kara's shoes at CatCo.

"C'mon guys, Mrs. Grant is not that bad." The looks turned to Kara. She leaned back, afraid. "I... I know she's a little hard to handle, but she's an inspiration for all women. Okay, she's stubborn and quite thick, but that's why she's helping you. Believe me, if she dislikes you she doesn't even know your existence. Although she looks at you, speaks with you, gives you advice, knows what she wants, what we should do, and she's a good mother and a good—"