Chapter 2: Why to reveal right now

The blonde gazed at the window of the car, taking another look at her reflection. Her long yellow hair had defined curls falling over her torso. Putting on an elegant pump, Kara was dressed in a black dress instead of a blue one, showcasing the best parts of her body. She felt quite odd using these clothes. The last time she checked, these clothes belonged to Red Daughter. The memory of her was not pleasant. Even then, Alex had just asked her, 'Exactly what should you wear today!' and then shooed the Kryptonian away from her place. The blonde was confused and frustrated. 'What's wrong with wearing a floral dress?' she thought. Kara still remembered the look she used to have when the red kryptonite was still in her blood. Even Cat Grant had praised her for finally 'dressing like an adult.' It was an exaggeration. Sure, most of Kara's clothing was colorful and stamped, but come on, who doesn't like Disney movies? If that were the case, this human certainly did not lead a good life.

The sound of pump steps echoed.

Using her super hearing, Kara heard a murmur and focused on a particular voice among a hundred people in the party. No long time after the murmur disappeared, replaced by a new sound: heartbeats. Kara smiled. She could recognize these beats wherever she goes. The beat was low but steady quick, calling the kryptonian to come closer as it sounded louder and louder, leading the way. At the entrance of the event building a distracted beautiful brunette was massaging her neck and moving her face kindly around. To everyone it could be just the exact view of "Lena massaging her neck", but Kara knew the CEO was only using an excuse to look around covertly, pulling her own cheeks further into a smile. It was Kara Danvers whom Lena was looking for.

"Lena." The CEO turned immediately, opening a big smile to see who was calling her. "Kara!'" She gave her a quick hug before pulling away. "I'm so glad you came. I was afraid you had to regret it." She confessed with a worried face. "I'm still worried, but I would never leave you alone, Lena. You're my best friend and I will always be here for you, no matter what happens."

A bright smile formed on the CEO's lips as the green orbs kept looking at the blue ones. Kara seemed so shining at this moment. Knowing that the Kryptonian was thinking of her made Lena's heart warm. When would Lena imagine that she would really have a friend, especially a superhero? And there they were, a Super and a Luthor, together. That was beyond anything she had dreamed of. On the other hand, Kara couldn't help but smile back, out to lunch. Seeing Lena happy was the most important thing in her life. Rao, how could a woman be so perfect? Lena was smart, kind-hearted, a beautiful soul, and so sexy. If Kara didn't know Lena very well, she would swear the CEO knows she loves her red lipstick and wore it just to please her. Or maybe Lena's body was more appreciated when she wore a low-cut dress... "Hehe," was what left the brunette in a giggle. "Wha... What?" Kara stuttered, coming back to Lena's side. "You know, the party is inside, but I don't mind staying here with you. After all, I'm the number one fan of Supergirl." Kara blushed, "Than... Thank you, I... Hum..." Lena giggled again. Knowing anything was coming from the blonde, she held Kara's wrist and pulled her into the building, smelling the shared scent of alcohol and salted food reaching their fabrics.

The decor was the same as the last parties they had been to: a stage for performances, stereotyped people, and for sure, a long table of food. Lena hurried to take two glasses of whiskey for both of them when the first waiter passed by. To the crowd, they were trying to fit in, but to themselves, they were hoping the drinks would be enough to handle the entire night in peace. Kara walked to the table and started plating while Lena followed behind. With a fruit salad and a sample of each food on a plate, the girls rummaged with their eyes around until they found an acceptable table and settled down, then they lived in their own peaceful world in the shadows.

"Wow, this food is amazing! I still haven't gotten used to the idea that we can eat as much as we want, and without paying anything! For Rao sake!" Kara was excited, eating food after another, filling her cheeks. "That's one of the rare good points of these meetings." Lena sipped her whiskey, looked up and laughed. She couldn't think of anything else than a squirrel after looking at Kara's full cheeks and her glinting eyes. A squirrel and a puppy, that yet could be dangerous. "You don't need to worry about food, Kar. Someone very intelligent once told me that eating is the best and most important part of life. And as I don't like to eat alone, I have my favorite person with me." Lena bit her tongue in an amused grimace, making Kara laugh. "You're awesome Lee, but I can't let you pay for my food every time." The CEO leaned forward and rested her elbows on the table, staring at the blonde, "And who pays you, Kara Danvers?"