chapter thirteen

"𝐀𝐆𝐄𝐍𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐌𝐏𝐒𝐎𝐍, 𝐀𝐆𝐄𝐍𝐓 𝐒𝐎𝐔𝐒𝐀," Grace greeted while opening the door of the house and giving a forced smile

"𝐀𝐆𝐄𝐍𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐌𝐏𝐒𝐎𝐍, 𝐀𝐆𝐄𝐍𝐓 𝐒𝐎𝐔𝐒𝐀," Grace greeted while opening the door of the house and giving a forced smile. "Have you come to ask about my brother, if so, my answer remains the same; I haven't seen him in months."

"As a matter of fact, we're here on matters regarding your butler," Daniel told her and Grace furrowed her brow in confusion. "He's been arrested."

"For what?" she asked, tilting her head.

"That would be classified information, ma'am," Jack said and she rolled her eyes. "However, the evidence we found is in connection with your brother. He is missing and now there's more that leads to him being guilty."

"How mysterious," she smiled sarcastically. "If you won't tell me why you've arrested Mr. Jarvis, could you explain why you're currently standing on my front step with the most obnoxious smirk I've seen in years?"

Daniel chuckled and covered it with a cough. Jack looked at him before turning back to the woman. "Would you come with us?"

"Why?"

"Are you always this difficult to talk to?" he asked and she shrugged, leaning against the door.

"Usually. If someone isn't giving me all of the details. I usually like knowing what I might be getting myself into if someone asks me to get into the back of a car."

"It's in regards to your brother," Jack said and she sighed. "And it wasn't a question. Come with us."

She rolled her eyes and took her coat before following the men into their car. "You know, you might want to be a little more like your partner over there," she said, gesturing to the brunette in the passenger seat. "At least he's friendly."

"Friendliness doesn't win wars, Miss Stark," Jack told her and she shrugged. "I have a job to do. I don't have time for pleasantries."

"I've noticed," she muttered, looking out the window. "Has Mr. Jarvis done something wrong? Because I'll need to know if I should contact our attorneys."

"He means a lot to you, doesn't he?" Daniel asked, looking back at her and she glanced at the man.

"He's been there for me in more ways than I count," Grace replied with a sigh. "He's not just the butler. He's family."

⸻ ~~~ ⸻

"𝐎𝐇, 𝐒𝐎 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐖𝐀𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐃 to ask me questions," Grace said, sitting in the chair across from Jack. "You could have just said that. Have you happened to find our missing car? Mr. Jarvis said he's filed a report."

"Well, that report might take us a while to dig up," Jack replied and the brunette tilted her head. "You see, the NYPD isn't as efficient as the SSR at record-keeping, which is saying something, because our files are a wreck."