CHAPTER SIXTY THREE

A/N: Guys, I was at Kingston last week and there is a shop called "Midori Gifts" ! I kid you not, I got some cute stuff from that shop. Felt like Midori was there with me, lol. Plus, if you visit that place, you can take the ferry for free and visit Wolfe Island! 

Y/N's P.O.V 

It wasn't the best feeling to accept a date from a man I had no attraction towards, but Takeshi-san had been so gentle with the proposal that I couldn't resist. He had sent a letter with Naomi who read it aloud with a proud grin in which the man expressed his admiration and surprise when he heard how sad I was to not have had any dates for the winter festival. Now, I knew nothing of Naomi's stories but that girl was an excellent narrator. Somehow, she had weaved a tragic tale of my loneliness and now the merchant's heart was bleeding to take me out on a beautiful night. Saaya had praised the girl and even said she could become a master of misinformation since her words were so accurate, no one would dare challenge for evidence. However, we weren't the only ones to be excited. In our shared room, Rika was laughing and giggling with the others about her date with Iruka. She had chosen the best outfits, a beautiful royal blue yukata with silk obi to drape her waist, stunning flower bands to decorate her hair and let's not talk about the intricate pair of gold earrings she possessed. I watched her from the corner of my eyes as my friends began to brainstorm what to get me, tasting the pathetic acid on my tongue; jealousy and envy slipping to the deepest corner of my souls as I accepted that it was her who would be accompanying Iruka tonight.

Had she always been such a pompous asshole? Sometimes, I would wonder who Rika was before life decided she would become an orphan. Where were her friends or families? Did she have no one left? Sympathy was certainly replaced by anger the day I faced her wrath, shrilly voice and unnecessary violence. Rika had, from the very first day, showed us that we were not to talk to her, that we were far beneath her status. I wished I could understand her monstrous hatred but after a while, we learned to evade each other instead of any further attempts to converse. Ever since then, our rivalry grew stronger with each days I was praised over "menial" matters, according to the silver-eyed beauty. Sometimes she would try provoking me, especially when the house was too silent. Throughout the years, I realized I was Rika's main target and till this day, I had no clue as to why.

"Y/N"

"Huh?" I looked at my friends who had a jolly expression, unaware of my analysis of the girl on the other side of the bedroom.

"Tomorrow in the morning, we are going to shop for a dress"

"I don't think it's necessary Naomi, I am going out on a date with Takeshi-san" I smiled softly, picturing the merchant; his ash-black hair and cherry red eyes were an odd pairing but had a peculiar beauty to it, skin as dark as cocoa but a smile so bright that ladies couldn't help but bat their lashes at him, fawning whenever he talked to one in the crowd. Takeshi-san was a nice man, well-built and strong, had some formal training as a shinobi, yet, after passing the Chunin exams, decided he was more a baker than a proper ninja. So far, I would agree that he had made the right choice because his mochi stall remained the best for years and customers would rave continuously about his skills. I was always flustered with how much attention he paid me but even then, my heart beat louder for the humbled, academy teacher who would quietly stroll the streets, whistling to various songs he had listened and had a wanderlust look on his face, as if he always wanted to unravel the mysteries of this world.