CHAPTER THIRTY SIX

Y/N's P.O.V

Two days of not seeing Naruto and the increasing desire to be cuddled next to Kakashi had amplified my anxiety. I was sensitive throughout the entire day and even when I put up a smile while talking to civilians, helping them pass their mundane life smoothly, I was waiting to see any of those two people. I wasn't well acquainted to many shinobis and those few I had met so far, had their own bulk of works to complete. Morning was slightly lackluster, I woke up to this colossal bungalow alone and had breakfast that consisted mostly of sugary treats. I did not find the beauty of entering my kitchen to cook something meaningful; I would have if someone else was occupying the house. That made me wonder... the way Kakashi had cooked for me every time we were here... did he cook for his wife? Was I giving him a little piece of his old life? Even though it warmed me to see his affectionate side, I was worried he may had been channeling his unrequited fondness of marriage on me. Perhaps, when he returned I should talk openly about this. There were so many things we had yet to share... was he eating well? Did he think of me the way I was? Why couldn't I just stop thinking about him?

"Pathetic" I mimicked Kenzo's voice, already imagining his flattened ears and red eyes glowing menacingly at me. The silver furred cat was rather strict with his remarks and barely held back his brutal honesty. He was not fond of Kakashi even though none of my summons actually had a normal conversation with the man. It didn't matter since Kakashi was a ninken master- that knowledge itself had put team seven's captain on their hit list. Would Touchan agree to Kakashi being my... what exactly was he? That put a dent on my already nervous demeanor. I knew Kakashi and I hadn't even been together for a week before we were parted but I really wanted to call him something... at least something that exclusively defined our relationship. However, I assumed that I was thinking too much since it was a bond at its infancy. "I need to calm the fuck d ~"

"Did you hear?"

"Masaka! I always knew something was off about that man"

"To be escorted in chains in front of everyone? Even I couldn't have handled such humiliation!" my train of blurry thoughts were interrupted as I tuned into the conversation brewing between a group of elderly Konoha citizens. Their voices were laced with indignation, venom and it was clear to see their mutual revulsion towards the topic of discussion. I quietly stood beside the stall pretending to search for someone.

"I bet he was caught leaking Konoha's information to rivaling villages" one man said; his white stubbles made him look much older than he was even though he had a youthful vibrancy.

"I don't think so. There were too many Anbu officers and if he wanted to leak information, he would have done that discreetly. I think they caught him in a secret mission"

"Danzo can't be stupid... he knows there are spies everywhere"

"It's Danzo we are talking about" the same man said, "Well if you are that interested, they have taken him to the Hokage tower as far as I know. My son told me they had to interrogate a higher official"

"Oh! I forgot your son worked for Ibiki-san! He is single still, right? My girl will be a perfect match for your son"

"I'd rather he marry a man" my cheeks turned red hearing the comment and decided not to pry into their private matters any longer when the conversation detoured to a specific familial topic. The group broke into fits of giggles, bickering and bruised egos. Who was this Danzo the group talked about? My interest heightened and I made my way towards the Hokage tower. Now that I had gained that tiny information I was well attuned to the crowd debating what they had seen mere hours ago. From what I had gathered so far, it seemed to have caused high security alert since the Anbu units were dispatched to catch the man. Being a small village, it didn't take time for incidents to spread like wildfire, which was why barely a few handful of people read the newspaper.