Just the two of you

"Is that your entire apartment?" I asked in shock as he unlocked and opened the door, revealing what was behind it.

"Better than nothing" Simon replied as he entered it with our bags.

I stepped slowly into the room, paying attention to every detail. It was quite empty, with bare white walls and some windows. Only his bed, a small table in the corner and some chairs indicated that he had lived there before. I then entered the kitchen area only to find no food in the fridge or other cabinets.

"Don't know what you expected to find" I could feel him smiling.

"Shut up" I said as I wondered how I would need to spend a whole month with this man.

After that night when I got rid of my past, we returned to the base. No one noticed that we were missing for a whole day but soon after that everyone was given a few weeks off. And since I had nowhere to go, Simon insisted on us spending that time together. And so I agreed, hoping his presence would help me heal and start a new chapter in my life.

As he was unpacking our stuff, I came closer to one of the windows. I watched the streetlights, only passing cars interrupting the peaceful quiet of the evening. I pressed my face against the cold glass, seeing snowflakes dancing in the air, appreciating the moment I would probably never again get a chance to experience.

"Can we go outside?" I asked and looked at him with hope in my eyes.

"Did you mean, can we go outside and freeze to death?" He was once again teasing me with his jokes.

"Don't be such a snore"

"Watch your mouth, gorgeous"

"Or what?" I silently giggled.

"Do you really want to find out?" Simon asked as he slowly walked towards me. He then put his hand on my neck, pulling me close to him.

"Yes, sir" I knew how much he liked it when I called him sir. His eyes lit up with excitement when I addressed him in that way.

A long pause followed, but he eventually agreed "Only if I stay with my mask on"

"Deal"

At that moment it was weird knowing that I had never seen his face. And not because I didn't want to, but because I didn't feel the need to. I didn't care what he looked like, and so I never asked him to show me his face. But I always felt at peace when I saw his brown eyes, like warm, melted chocolate. 

Making him feel as comfortable as possible around me was my biggest priority. After all he had been through, I wanted him to be at peace around me.

...

As we were walking down the sidewalk, not a single person or a car passed by us. It was starting to snow more heavily. It felt as if the air was sucking the warmth from my body, leaving me shivering. I put both hands in my pockets, only for Simon to grab my right hand and place it in his own.

It didn't matter if these moments had no meaning to others, but they meant the world to me. I felt special, appreciated, and genuinely at peace.

We were walking through a town looking at Christmas lights, comparing each house and deciding which one had the coolest decorations. Both of us never had these kinds of moments, that was why each second we tried to live to the fullest.

We then approached a local park and we were mesmerised by those yellow lights wrapped around each tree. At that moment once again I felt like a kid, but this time experiencing the joy of Christmas time. I slowed my walking pace, trying to appreciate every bit of our surroundings. We eventually stopped, now standing in the middle of the path, just the two of us.

We stood facing each other, admiring our existence at that very moment. The soft gaze of his made me fall in love even more.

Simon then pulled me into a tight hug. I wrapped my hands around his neck as we continued to gaze into each others' eyes.

"My neck has been hurting" He broke the silence around us.

"Simon, what did you do?" I was genuinely concerned but I was sure he was just trying to tease me in some way.

"It's actually nothing. I just have to keep looking for you down there" I could tell by his eyes he was smiling.

"Shut up" I wasn't expecting that kind of joke, but it was a funny one.

His expression softened even more. Even though it was freezing and the snow was coming down in thick, fluffy flakes our hearts were warmed by the love we shared. His eyes were fixed on me, unable to understand how someone so kind could make their way into his life.

"Simon?"

"Yeah, love?"

"You have something on your jacket"

He then looked down, but I quickly hit him in the face. The good old joke worked on this man.

"You are going to regret doing this" He couldn't accept the fact that I managed to prank him.

"Mmm, can't wait" I replied as I got out of his embrace.

As I ducked behind a tree, I scooped up a handful of snow and rolled it into a ball. I peeked out from behind the tree, searching for him. And when I saw Simon, I let the snowball fly, hitting him directly in the shoulder.

"Oh, so we are playing like this, Y/N? His frustration was so obvious that I knew he was ready to bury me under that blanket of snow any minute.

He grinned and threw one back, and before we knew it, we were in the middle of a wild and playful snowfight. We played and laughed just like little kids. Then he gripped me tightly, lifted me off the ground and spun me around. Seconds later, he buried me under a blanket of snow as I kept laughing. Simon didn't stop until I was completely covered in it.

"How can someone as tiny as you be so damn crazy?" He grinned, his eyes sparkling with amusement. He kept holding both of my hands as I continued lying on the ground.

"Don't say you didn't enjoy it" I let out a soft giggle, my lips curling into a smile.

"I will always appreciate the choas you bring to my life" Seeing him be so happy melted my heart.

Shortly after that, we got up and started heading back to his apartment. My breath formed small clouds of steam in the freezing air as I exhaled, trying to relax after that snowfight.

That night felt like some kind of acceptance. I realised that the world while it was terrible in many ways, was also beautiful during moments like these.

I understood that I wasn't no longer surrounded by a meaningless void.